Low-cal but FLAVORFUL beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
Ok here is my idea. I, as I assume many others, have found that as my love for all things beer has increased so has my waistline. And while this is a small price to pay I can't help thinking I would like to do something to fill a void. That void of course being a low calorie beer that is designed for the beer drinker.

My first thought is of course hops. Hops add no calories to beer but tons of flavor. They are of course not used in abundance with commercial "light" beers for fear of offending the average pallet. About a year ago I purchased some Hop oil http://www.beer-brewing.com/beer-brewing/hops/hop_oil_products.htm and have been adding it to bland light beers when I am forced to drink the crap and it has really helped. Might bumping the IBUs from a traditional light beer's 5-8 to 25-30 (maybe some cascade for aroma and Amarillo for some citrus edge) give nice flavor without being too overpowering?

Also, is there a way to lighten the calorie count without losing a ton of body and acquiring that nasty skunk taste that substituting corn sugar for malt seems to do?

Basically I'm looking for something around 110-120 cals (miller lt is 96, bud lt is 110) around 4.2% alc (the alc by itself will impart 95ish cals) that is flavorful and easy to drink. Suggestions?

How about a dark mild? Low alcohol, low calorie count, pretty low on the hop scale, but good flavor if done well.

Try a Mild English Brown Ale, light, easy drinking, session beer with flavor. This version has 119 calories per 12 ounces of beer, as estimated by Beersmith http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Mild.html

Edit: what he said ^^^

Unfortunately Mild is not a good choice if you want to keep the pounds away. Mild has a bunch of unfermentible sugars in Caramel/Crystal and Chocolate malts. Which means a LOT of carbs in a glass.

They calculate the "calories" in alcohol from the amount of sugars before the fermentation process: OG. But what really matters as far as keeping the waist line in check is FG and not OG. That's why wine will not make you fat, although it has the same amount of "calories" in a glass. So what you are really looking for is a beer with low FG, low amounts of caramel/chocolate, pitch a lot of yeast with high attenuation. Lower mash temps and a diacetyl rest will also help finish the beer in lower FG. As an example, my American Wheat with US-05 can finish as low as 1.002 FG.

Scooby, you are confused. Calories from carbs are no more "fattening" than calories from alcohol. Yes, given two beers with the same OG the one with the lower FG will have fewer calories because carbs have more calories per gram than alcohol, but the lower FG will also have more alcohol. Conversely, given two beers of the same alcohol content and FG the one with the lower OG will have fewer calories.

Anyway, beersmith calculates calories based on OG and FG - or more accurately carb content and alcohol content.

With respect to weight gain, 1 calorie = 1 calorie. Doesn't matter if it is from alcohol, carbohydrates or suspended yeast.

If you want to burn up some calories in an efficient manner and not only trim your waist but get stronger there is NO better resource for a beginner than www.startingstrength.com A couple months into that and your carboys will seem lighter, too :) (not to mention you can drink IIPAs instead of light lagers to your heart's content)

Guiness is a lo-cal stout that shows us this is very possible. While some mixed drinks like rum and diet coke claim to be carb free.

HOWEVER the best way to loose weight is to follow the simple equation of ingest less calories than the human body burns in a day.

What about this enzyme? Claims to reduce carb content in beer...

Alpha-galactosidase is BEANO, there are threads about it on these Forums. I tried it once and I got the same FG in both fermenters (one with BEANO and one without).

Calories from carbs are no more "fattening" than calories from alcohol.
Have you ever seen a fat wine drinker?

Have you ever seen a fat wine drinker?

Hmm, yes ? A lot of them. Calories from alcohol are still calories from alcohol. Vodka is supposedly the best drink in term of calories per drink due to the low residual sugar content, but drink a few shots of it every night, don't do any exercice and see where that gets you (most probably fat).

Here's a very good article on lowering the alcohol and consequently the calories of beers without losing flavor. It's from BYO magazine.

Tastes Great! Less Alcohol!

I've seen plenty of fat wine drinkers...

The bottom line is this:
Calories in = calories out : Body weight is maintained
Calories in < calories out : Body weight is lost
Calories in > calories out : Body weight is gained

There are no if, and's, or but's about this. Sure, different ratios of carbs, fats, and proteins will offer different results, especially in body composition, however, your overall bodyweight is solely dependent upon the equations listed above.

If you can sit down at night and have a glass or two of whatever beer you like, that's perfectly fine. Just account for those carbs and calories when analyzing your total for the day. If you know you are going to have two 250 calorie beers that night, take that into account and adjust the rest of your meals to free up approximately 500 calories worth of carbs that day.

A main problem for beer drinkers isn't actually the beer at all. It's the environment surrounding it. You go out and have a few drinks with some friends. You may have some chips, pretzels, nuts, bar food, chicken wings, jalapeno poppers, etc. Before you know it, you've eaten more than a few hundred calories worth without even thinking about it. Honestly, when was the last time you went out for a night, and on your ride home at 1am, did not make the DD stop at Mickey D's for their scrumptious dollar menu?

As I said before, it's all about calories in and calories out. There's no magic powder in beer that makes the consumer gain any more weight than any other form of food/drink with the same amount of calories. Look up the gentleman who lost weight eating nothing but twinkies for a month (knowing exactly how much he was eating and adjusting for his own personal BMR). Also look up the blog where an amateur natural bodybuilder (no illegal substances, and is tested) got into competition shape even while going out every Friday and Saturday night just to drink, as an experiment to see if it could be done.

Alcohol (pure) carries 7 calories per gram (protein = 4, carbs = 4, and fats = 9). So alcohol itself is actually almost twice as calorie dense as carbs or protein. A small glass of wine will have around 150 calories. A 12 oz. serving of standard light beer is approximately 150 calories. A 1oz shot of straight vodka is around 65 calories. That shot of unflavored vodka will have zero carbs, but it still has 65 calories from the ethanol. Flavored spirits will have more calories from the carbs and sugars from flavoring.

Bud Select 55 is only 55 calories. Guess what? It's also only 2.8% alcohol. It's literally half beer half water. As for the wine drinkers, a glass or two of wine a night will not make you fat. Neither will a beer or two. They will only make you fat if you do not compensate for their calories and sit on your a** all day long. It's exceedingly simple.

So, back to the OP's post. You can come up with many ways to make a light flavorful beer. You can use hops, no calorie flavorings, etc. You WILL, however, lack the body, density, and depth of a well made stronger beer, however. You can have 6 light partially flavorful beers, or you can have 3 top notch, outstandingly full beers. Hell, you can even have 10 if you want... just be sure to account for the calories in your other meals/drinks and workout routines throughout the day.

xjmox14x hit the nail on the head. Basically said everything my GF's personal trainer told her. It's not the beer making you gain weight. It's the beer + everything else. Specifically those late nights when you eat the pizza, wings, etc...

Instead of making a low cal half water brew, just eat better and drink the same quality beer that you're drinking now. This is what I do and I don't gain anything. I still have about 2-3 beers a night. I'd rather enjoy my couple beers a night and cut out eating junk food than eat junk food and less satisfying beer.

I've seen plenty of fat wine drinkers...

The bottom line is this:
Calories in = calories out : Body weight is maintained
Calories in < calories out : Body weight is lost
Calories in > calories out : Body weight is gained

There are no if, and's, or but's about this. Sure, different ratios of carbs, fats, and proteins will offer different results, especially in body composition, however, your overall bodyweight is solely dependent upon the equations listed above.

If you can sit down at night and have a glass or two of whatever beer you like, that's perfectly fine. Just account for those carbs and calories when analyzing your total for the day. If you know you are going to have two 250 calorie beers that night, take that into account and adjust the rest of your meals to free up approximately 500 calories worth of carbs that day.

A main problem for beer drinkers isn't actually the beer at all. It's the environment surrounding it. You go out and have a few drinks with some friends. You may have some chips, pretzels, nuts, bar food, chicken wings, jalapeno poppers, etc. Before you know it, you've eaten more than a few hundred calories worth without even thinking about it. Honestly, when was the last time you went out for a night, and on your ride home at 1am, did not make the DD stop at Mickey D's for their scrumptious dollar menu?

As I said before, it's all about calories in and calories out. There's no magic powder in beer that makes the consumer gain any more weight than any other form of food/drink with the same amount of calories. Look up the gentleman who lost weight eating nothing but twinkies for a month (knowing exactly how much he was eating and adjusting for his own personal BMR). Also look up the blog where an amateur natural bodybuilder (no illegal substances, and is tested) got into competition shape even while going out every Friday and Saturday night just to drink, as an experiment to see if it could be done.

Alcohol (pure) carries 7 calories per gram (protein = 4, carbs = 4, and fats = 9). So alcohol itself is actually almost twice as calorie dense as carbs or protein. A small glass of wine will have around 150 calories. A 12 oz. serving of standard light beer is approximately 150 calories. A 1oz shot of straight vodka is around 65 calories. That shot of unflavored vodka will have zero carbs, but it still has 65 calories from the ethanol. Flavored spirits will have more calories from the carbs and sugars from flavoring.

Bud Select 55 is only 55 calories. Guess what? It's also only 2.8% alcohol. It's literally half beer half water. As for the wine drinkers, a glass or two of wine a night will not make you fat. Neither will a beer or two. They will only make you fat if you do not compensate for their calories and sit on your a** all day long. It's exceedingly simple.

So, back to the OP's post. You can come up with many ways to make a light flavorful beer. You can use hops, no calorie flavorings, etc. You WILL, however, lack the body, density, and depth of a well made stronger beer, however. You can have 6 light partially flavorful beers, or you can have 3 top notch, outstandingly full beers. Hell, you can even have 10 if you want... just be sure to account for the calories in your other meals/drinks and workout routines throughout the day.

Good points, all. Many of my clients have a drink or more at night (beer, wine, martini, etc) and not only maintain weight (by maintaining a caloric deficit through other modifications of their diet) but several compete at high levels in physique contests. It's certainly possible to drink and maintain weight.

As for making a light and flavorful beer, I have not idea. :confused:

I try telling this to everyone I meet concerned about low calories and beer. No one listens. I told this to numerous people buying Bud 55 when I was working. They still got it. My old roommates were concerned about it. I told them if they are that concerned about calories, buy cheap vodka and don't buy nasty food. Then they came in months later with the discovery that vodka had less calories for the amount of alcohol you get. Then they get hammered and order some greeeasy cheese stick pizzas and get fast food. Yup, it's definitely the beer, not because you ate a whole damn pizza...

That being said, there is nothing wrong with a lower abv beer that has some flavor. I would just go with a more traditional Saison (which has lower abv than most today), and use French Saison yeast as it seems to attenuate more than the Belgian Saison yeast. You could even sub a pound of malt for a pound of sugar to dry it out more. Keep that fermenting temp up to get the esters and you should have a decent beer.

I am doing something similar soon. Definitely not for the calories, but for a very sessionable, flavorful beer. I will be blending Saison and Witbier yeasts, using my Witbier base recipe, and adding some other herbs, spices, tea, and more hops. No idea how it will turn out, but I will find out within 2 months hopefully.

Beer and wine are known to have a large number and amount of certain vitamins and minerals and have a large amount of health benefits when consumed in moderation to your body size and weight. This on average is considered 1-2 drinks a day for women, and 2-4 a day for men. So if you are drinking 150 beers, twice a day for a total of 300 calories, and you are active or even sedentary if you can keep your calories around 2000 for Women, and 2500 or so for men you should be able to have the average calorie beer with out any concern for weight gain. According to some studies that have been done moderate alcohol consumption has been shown to be related to low obesity and weight gain. High consumption shows high obesity and weight gain.

Thanks for all the replies, And just to be clear I am by no means planning to give up full flavored mid and high cal beers, or find a way to "cheat" in order to lose weight. I maintain an active lifestyle and the weight gain I have experienced has been minimal.
Instead, I was looking at this a challenge. As if someone said to me, I'm giving you a 120 cal limit make the best damn beer you can. And also the fact that I see no reason why the discerning beer drinker couldn't enjoy an awesome beer that also happened to have the benefit of being low cal. There don't seem to be many beers out there that fit this bill.

The suggestion of a mild is interesting (although I hoped for something with slightly more abv) as well as the enzyme. I had thought of hops and perhaps spices, but the idea of getting flavor via the yeast is also intriguing and I will look into that. It is my goal to put together a recipe by the end of this thread so any additional ideas would be great. Thanks to all that have posted so far!

I think too much hops and/or spices might just come out as hopped/spiced water. Something more malty might be the way to go...even if it will be a bit thin.

Thanks for all the replies, And just to be clear I am by no means planning to give up full flavored mid and high cal beers, or find a way to "cheat" in order to lose weight. I maintain an active lifestyle and the weight gain I have experienced has been minimal.
Instead, I was looking at this a challenge. As if someone said to me, I'm giving you a 120 cal limit make the best damn beer you can. And also the fact that I see no reason why the discerning beer drinker couldn't enjoy an awesome beer that also happened to have the benefit of being low cal. There don't seem to be many beers out there that fit this bill.

The suggestion of a mild is interesting (although I hoped for something with slightly more abv) as well as the enzyme. I had thought of hops and perhaps spices, but the idea of getting flavor via the yeast is also intriguing and I will look into that. It is my goal to put together a recipe by the end of this thread so any additional ideas would be great. Thanks to all that have posted so far!

That's actually an interesting challenge...

My suggestion, brew more beer. All that heavy lifting, stirring and in my case standing around in a hot friggin kitchen will take off a few pounds...

Founders has a beer called All Day IPA (formally known as Endurance Ale). Around 4% and aroma like an IPA. Since I like my IPA pretty dry, it's perfect. I got a pint of their Double Trouble IIPA and a pint of All Day and I couldn't tell them apart from the aroma. AND it was pretty tough to tell from the taste.

I took a recipe for Hop Rod Rye and cut everything by 1/3, except the flavor/aroma hops. Made a very nice 4% beer. It's in my recipe list at the bottom.

Thanks for the ideas guys, that was exactly what I was after. I will definitely check out your recipe david_42 Any idea how many calories that beer is?

Back