Low attenuation - Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charmin1073

Reaction score
I brewed a Lager 3 weeks ago. OG was a little high at 1.061. Was supposed to be 1.054. Just took a reading and it was 1.029. Supposed to be 1.013. Should I rouse the yeast, pitch another pack of Bavarian Lager (pitched 2 packs originally) or will moving to Diacetyl rest finish it off?

Thanks

Well, might of got ahead of myself. My first reading was with hydrometer. I got a refractometer from Santa so figured I would give it a try. Calibrated according to directions and took a reading. Came up with 7.3 Brix %. Went back and took a hydrometer reading and it was 1.016. I also took both readings on a porter I have fermenting and the refractometer was again much higher. So diacetyl rest for a couple of days and then lager away.

Well, might of got ahead of myself. My first reading was with hydrometer. I got a refractometer from Santa so figured I would give it a try. Calibrated according to directions and took a reading. Came up with 7.3 Brix %. Went back and took a hydrometer reading and it was 1.016. I also took both readings on a porter I have fermenting and the refractometer was again much higher. So diacetyl rest for a couple of days and then lager away.

The refractometer is great- but it doesn't "read" correctly when alcohol is in the mix as it measures the refraction of light through a sucrose solution. There are some calculators out there than can help convert it, and some find this one fairly accurate: http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/

My rule is always that preboil readings are taken with a refractometer, and all post-fermentation readings with a hydrometer.

Back