Low ABV IPA-ish style beer - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
I'm working on a low alcohol beer, something kinda like Bells low cal, or a low alc. IPA/pale type beer. This is what I'm thinking of, let me know your thoughts. Trying to make sure the body is decently full considering the lighter abv and IBUs are balanced so not overly bitter and has good hop flavor as well. thinking 2.5-3% abv.

WLP001
OG: 1.030
FG: 1.006
IBUs: 35-40 is what I'm thinking.

2 row 38%
white wheat 28%
Munich 19%
Chrystal 40 14%

Using a combo of Equinox, Centennial and Citra all at 20minutes or less in the boil and then dry hopping some.
Mainly worried about the body and bitterness balance.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

https://beerandbrewing.com/make-your-best-session-ipa/

I would take a look at this recipe. The OG is 44 but it’s an excellent recipe.

I’ve used this grain bill twice. The first I followed the recipe, the second time I played with the hops.

It drank like a much bigger beer. The body was pretty full.

A variation of this recipe will always be in my rotation.

I just brewed my first "kit" in a long long time, Bell's Light Hearted Ale. I'll let you know how it turns out. Brew day went perfectly.

I just brewed my first "kit" in a long long time, Bell's Light Hearted Ale. I'll let you know how it turns out. Brew day went perfectly.
what was the est. abv on this one?
What was the grain bill on it?
What was IBUs?

Thanks!

Yep that's it.
I added some stray 2 row I had and my OG was a little higher than 1.037

I'm working on a low alcohol beer, something kinda like Bells low cal, or a low alc. IPA/pale type beer. This is what I'm thinking of, let me know your thoughts. Trying to make sure the body is decently full considering the lighter abv and IBUs are balanced so not overly bitter and has good hop flavor as well. thinking 2.5-3% abv.

WLP001
OG: 1.030
FG: 1.006
IBUs: 35-40 is what I'm thinking.

2 row 38%
white wheat 28%
Munich 19%
Chrystal 40 14%

Using a combo of Equinox, Centennial and Citra all at 20minutes or less in the boil and then dry hopping some.
Mainly worried about the body and bitterness balance.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

It may help to use a lower attenuation yeast strain so as not to dry out too much. The Anchor strain (Wyeast 1272 or Imperial Independence) or London Ale III (Imperial Juice) might be good candidates. They both have interesting esters too.

I brewed a session IPA beginning of February. It turned pretty good for a first attempt.
77.8% Maris Otter
8.3% Munich 10
8.3% C20
5.6% Flaked Rye
I used a combo of simcoe, Amarillo and cascade
London Ale 1318
ABV 4.7%

Water profile
Ca 98
Mg 5.2
Na 8
CI 100
SO4 125
I'll be re-brewing in a few weeks. Increasing the flaked Rye to 10% and using C10 instead of C20. Also adding a touch of honey malt.

The color came out a bit darker than I wanted.

Kegged on 2-12 and it's just about gone.
20200222_111434.jpeg

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that one reason I ordered the Bells kit was to try their "Select" Centennial hops. I don't know if it's just marketing but when I opened that 1oz pouch in the kitchen it was an impressive aroma that my wife commented on while sitting across the room.

I also got the Two Hearted kit which I'll be brewing soon.

Check out this YT

They did an all rye w og of 1.028 and fg of 1.012

Sounds delicious. My limited experience with rye is similar; adds a ton of body and finishes crystal clear. I have never gone over 30% in a grain bill. However that was for a standard abv pale ale (5-6%).

Damnit! Another beer to add to my list of must brews.

FYI- I do have a Piwo Grodziskie lagering at the moment. Not exactly what the OP was looking for but from what I’ve sampled- there’s a ton of flavor for a 3% beer. It’s the first time I’ve brewed and tasted this style.

I did a session IPA that used about 17.5% Carapils, and I was quite pleased with the body. The rest was mostly Munich and Maris Otter.

The bitterness was 50 IBU, which was a bit intense for me. There was enough residual sweetness (1.016 FG), but I think the lower abv really called for lower bitterness. The next time I make it, I'll keep the grain bill and adjust the hops.

BTW, I used Weyermann Carapils, known in the US as Carafoam. Briess carapils is a different animal.

Update: The Bell's Light Hearted Ale was a huge success with family and friends. It finished at about 4.5% and disappeared too quickly. And while it's not low abv I also brewed the Bell's Two Hearted Ale kit and it is outstanding, possibly the best IPA I've brewed.

I've been brewing for a number of years and after starting with a one gallon Northern Brewer extract kit, I moved quickly to all grain and 5 gallon batches. I've never used a company kit after that one gallon start but always assembled my own recipes. I wanted to try Bell's Select Centennial hops but just on a whim I purchased three all grain kits directly from Bells. Another reason is we can't get Bells beer in Oklahoma. The first two beers have both been terrific and it was somewhat relaxing to not analyze every ingredient for a batch of beer. Third kit, a Kolsch will be kegged tomorrow. Those Bell's Centennial hops are definitely intense.

Update: The Bell's Light Hearted Ale was a huge success with family and friends. It finished at about 4.5% and disappeared too quickly. And while it's not low abv I also brewed the Bell's Two Hearted Ale kit and it is outstanding, possibly the best IPA I've brewed.

I've been brewing for a number of years and after starting with a one gallon Northern Brewer extract kit, I moved quickly to all grain and 5 gallon batches. I've never used a company kit after that one gallon start but always assembled my own recipes. I wanted to try Bell's Select Centennial hops but just on a whim I purchased three all grain kits directly from Bells. Another reason is we can't get Bells beer in Oklahoma. The first two beers have both been terrific and it was somewhat relaxing to not analyze every ingredient for a batch of beer. Third kit, a Kolsch will be kegged tomorrow. Those Bell's Centennial hops are definitely intense.

I love Two Hearted Ale. I've brewed that several times. The Northern Brewer version is known as Dead Ringer and it's usually the recipe I go by. About the only thing I do different is add more dry hops.

Is that recipe posted anywhere? It sounds delicious.
I consulted with google but only found the the Two Hearted version.

LOL!, No problem.

I never knew Bell's was selling their recipes "direct". Pretty cool as Northern's version (Dead Ringer) is one of my favs, besides the original.

May have to get that kit, since it also has their house yeast.

Latest posts

Back