Low ABV habenero?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incongruent

Reaction score
Update: I added 2 habenero (1 roasted) after 5 days in primary then bottled after 8 days (primed to 2.0 CO2 volume).

I was just fooling around with a 2 gallon batch. I probably should have made it a 1.5 gallon batch but whatever. I'm thinking of dry hopping / adding haberno chili (vodka soaked) with cascade after fermentation.

Will low ABV habenero turn out alright? I've never even tried a Habernero but all the recipes I've read are higher ABV like 6%.

OG is 1.034
FG should be 1.01 (ABV 3.25%)

-1lb 5oz pale LME
-0.5 cane sugar
-60m 0.25oz cascade
-60m 0.25oz golding
-10m 0.25oz cascade
-10m 0.25oz golding
-10m pinch of dried chili flakes
-6g US 05 yeast pitched at 26C

I'm soaking a halved red haberno pepper (seeds in) in vodka. Going to dump the pepper and vodka into the fermenter after about 7 days.

I did a low abv Amber ale with habanero earlier this year and it turned out amazing. I actually did 2 peppers sliced and thrown into the boil at 5 minutes. Then put 3 boiled peppers sliced in a hop bag and threw them into the secondary for about 4 days. Turned out amazing. Let me know how yours turns out!!

I'm too afraid of undergoing it, so I halved another orange habenero and broiled it at 480C for 5-10 mins in the oven then added to the tincture with some additional vodka to cover the new additions. About 4oz total I think.

I tastes a dab of the tincture before adding the 2nd pepper and found it zippy but not deadly... so I think the 2nd pepper (this time roasted) was a good choice.

I can't wait.... The worst part is it is such a small batch I don't want to take any samples or try any of the bottles until it has properly aged... sigh... anticipation.

I've been making a Habanero Pale Ale (5.5 ABV)called Creekwater 911 for about 5-6 years,
I soak 1 sliced Hab in 8 oz of vodka for 2 weeks, and then, at kegging time add only the vodka to the 5 gallon keg. it's not too hot, and has that distinctive Hab taste.
I just started carbonating a keg of it today, can't wait to tap it! :D

Oh man. I just added the tincture to the wort as the fermentation has nearly ceased. I had a taste of the tincture (like a drop or two) and the heat felt good and flavor very nice and Smokey. I put the cut up peppers and another 0.5oz cascade & golding hops into the fermenter in a stainless steel tea diffuser thing I sterilized beforehand. I had a few pieces of habernero left over so I popped them in my mouth. Oh God. Milk and ice cream are worthless to suppress the heat. I may have made a mistake.

Naww... this is what I wanted.... But I may portion these into my smaller 300ml bottles.

I've been making a Habanero Pale Ale (5.5 ABV)called Creekwater 911 for about 5-6 years,
I soak 1 sliced Hab in 8 oz of vodka for 2 weeks, and then, at kegging time add only the vodka to the 5 gallon keg. it's not too hot, and has that distinctive Hab taste.
I just started carbonating a keg of it today, can't wait to tap it! :D

Any way I could get your recipe?

I bottled today. Cold chilled to clarify for 12h first. I had about a 5oz taste. It was on first tasting like just a light beer (3.25% ABV) and while I held in my mouth it didn't intensity either. But upon swallowing I can taste a good smoky habernero flavor with a mild kick and feel the unmistakable internal heat and mild flop sweat from injesting a hot pepper. At this point, the amount of peppers I added was perfect. I could probably handle 1 more pepper (3 total) on a 2 gallon batch. Roasting the pepper was a wise choice. Although to ensure I reproduce the same batch I'll continue to oven roast 50% and leave the other 50% fresh.

I can't wait to see how the carbonation affects the taste. I expect it will intensify it as aeration typically does.

Since I only yielded 22 bottles, I'm afraid I'm not going to touch these for another month... gotta stay strong and not try to sample early ...

Update in 1 month...

Latest posts

Back