Lots O Hops....too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtracer

Reaction score
About to do my first all grain BAIB IPA. Had great success with my first two all gain brews, an APA and Wheat beer.

My IPA has a 14 lb grain bill and hopping with Cascade and Amarillo, 5.5 gallon

Hop Schedule
1 oz Cascade 60 min
1 oz cascade 10 min
1 oz Amarillo 10 min
1 oz Cascade 5 min
1 oz Amarillo 5 min
2 oz Cascade Flame out
2 oz Amarillo @ 180*
3 oz Dry hop Amarillo

I usually like to bitter with Warrior, but I bought 8oz pkgs of Cascade and Amarillo so I figured I'll just use the Cascade for the 60 min.

Anyways, is this sound like too much? But I figure with such late additions, can there really be too much :mug:

Give me the alpha acid % of your hops and I'll plug it into Beersmith for you to see where you end up with the IBU's.

I've read somewhere that dropping cascade in for 60 will impart some different flavors than you may be going for.

Thanks - :mug:

Beersmith give me like 67 IBU's, but these programs don't really give you any info on late hop additions.
I like my IPA's hoppy but not really bitter.
My opinion is that bitter IPA's are kinda old school.

I'd move your 10 minute additions to 5 minutes and do a 6oz hop at 175-180. I'd also add 2oz of cascade to your dry hop bill.

Right, boiling the hop for less time decreases the isomerization that is going on with that alpha acid, so longer the boil time more = higher IBU.

With 14 pounds of grain and Cascade = 5.5%, Amarillo = 9.2% I've got an IBU of 41.7. Which is very much on the low end of any IPA, but dead nuts in the middle of an American Pale Ale

It's not "too" much though to try to answer your original question. But like I sometimes say, there's two ways to find out..... research and ask others, or just do it yourself!

Good luck, I'm sure it will taste great!

I like it. If you got the hops and want to use them go for it. I usually do similar additions with at least 2 oz at flameout and 3 oz dry hopping. And if it's the first time i'm brewing with a certain hop combo i add them in the same quantities at the same time as you're doing here. As Lyger10 says though, I've heard mixed things about cascade as a bittering hop. If you can try and replace it that would be my only critique. Another option is to take an ounce of cascade from flame out and add it with your ounce from 60 to a later addition say 45 or 30 minutes to try and reduce the "different flavor" Lyger10 mentioned but still keep your IBUs in the 50-60 range.

Right, boiling the hop for less time decreases the isomerization that is going on with that alpha acid, so longer the boil time more = higher IBU.

With 14 pounds of grain and Cascade = 5.5%, Amarillo = 9.2% I've got an IBU of 41.7. Which is very much on the low end of any IPA, but dead nuts in the middle of an American Pale Ale

It's not "too" much though to try to answer your original question. But like I sometimes say, there's two ways to find out..... research and ask others, or just do it yourself!

Good luck, I'm sure it will taste great!

Snap, your right. I still had Warrior as my 60 minute hop in beersmith.
Going to reconfigure 60 minute addition and just go for it.

I did something similar recently - 1 oz bittering then 8 oz of some high-ish AA% hops over the course of a 60 minute hopstand and then 2 oz of dry hop.

It's great now and plenty hoppy after a little over a month in the keg, but holy crap - after two or three weeks in the keg, it was undrinkable because the hops were just too much.

I know they say hoppy beers are best fresh, but when you start nearing a pound of hops, they need a little time to mellow out. And don't freak out if you try a fresh glass and it tastes like you're drowning in hops.

Oh, here is new schedule, wish me luck!
Screw it, I'm going to use the full pound of hops...
61.1 IBU's

Hop Schedule
1 oz Cascade 60
1 oz Amarillo 30
1 oz cascade 10 min
1 oz Amarillo 10 min
1 oz Cascade 5 min
1 oz Amarillo 5 min
3 oz Cascade Flame out
3 oz Amarillo @ 180*
2 oz Dry hop Amarillo
2 oz dry hop Cascade

Well brew day went great. Just my third all grain BAIB, actually exceeded my estimated OG (hit 1.070) and all volumes worked out great.
Initial sweet wort taste after gravity reading was sweet and hoppy(in a good way)...imagine that :)

dry hop it in the primary fermenter to help eliminate contact with O2 and do a direct transfer to keg via out post.

dry hop it in the primary fermenter to help eliminate contact with O2 and do a direct transfer to keg via out post.

Yeah, I don't secondary. I keg n Sankes, I just siphon directly into the keg making sure transfer house it sitting on the bottom of keg. I figure I introduce as much O2 as maybe filling a bottle, but I get to quickly purge that out

Yeah, I don't secondary. I keg n Sankes, I just siphon directly into the keg making sure transfer house it sitting on the bottom of keg. I figure I introduce as much O2 as maybe filling a bottle, but I get to quickly purge that out

Nice. I can tell you however that in my experience, I noticed a massive difference when I started to fill my kegs from the out post versus auto-siphon. having the keg pre-purged and never opened to surface air really made a night and day difference in the lasting quality.

I don't even force it with CO2 either, I gravity feed from my primary via spigot down through the hose attached to the OUT post and it fills with virtually no air exposure. try it if you can.

^^^ I agree that the 30 min Amarillo add is out of place...and to one of the other points made previously - bitter is needed in an IPA, but your beer should be made the way you like so brew on;)...

Explain why the 30 minute Amarillo is it oh place? Most all my new favorite commercial IPA's are not bitter at all. Stone IPA is good, yet a little more bitter than my ideal. But then again to me Pliney isn't very bitter.
Yes, some bitterness is an aspect of the classic IPA, but just like time, techniques and styles change.
This came in at 61 IBU's on beer smith which is considered bitter.

they're saying amarillo as a hop is out of place at 30 minutes as you're killing a great flavor and aroma hop that should be saved for later on. At 30 minutes you could use something less delicate and full of flavor. Centennial would place just as fine at 30 minutes.

Ehhh, well I bought an 8oz pkg of both, used all of them. Not to mention the 7oz late/dry additions of Amarillo.
So If I wanted to do a smash with Amarillo, it would be fround apon to bitter with it then lol :)

Latest posts

Back