lost my first carboys... but not by dropping =(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerdie

Reaction score
I left my carboys outside and let the oxiclean do its job on a 5g and 6g. It got really cold one night and BAM lost 2.....

Note to self: do not let glass carboy freeze. Oxiclean does not lower the freezing point

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

That totally sux in the bad way. Secondly, is OxiClean safe to clean Ur Carboys with? I always heard unscented dish soap is best.

That happened to my IC. Huge hole burst in the side as I left it outside with water still in it. Now it's about as useful as a tit on a man. Ugh.

If it's just one hole, cut out the hole and solder a coupler in its place. I have an old IC that I left in the garage over the winter, I *thought* it was empty, but it split the tubing in like four or five places. Ugh.

That totally sux in the bad way. Secondly, is OxiClean safe to clean Ur Carboys with? I always heard unscented dish soap is best.

Totally safe and better than dish soap. But get Oxyfree or Sun oxygen Cleaner, no perfumes or other junk.

Totally safe and better than dish soap. But get Oxyfree or Sun oxygen Cleaner, no perfumes or other junk.

I used the Better Bottle PET Carboys. Would OxiClean still be good to clean them with? I'm presuming I would have to dissolve the OxiClean in hot water before applying to the carboy?

Yeah oxiclean is great just my stupidity.. maybe I left it for more than a day and maybe it was DAMNNN cold outside.... but it just happened so quick and you know how u get busy and stuff....

Well I get whatever I can get for cheap... I found some glass carboy on CL for cheap so I brought it... but now I don't have a 6g carboy =( ... and my wine juice is for 6g... DOH!!!
I have a few 5g!

Oxiclean will lower the freezing point... just not enough to matter when it's uber****ingcold outside.

Back