Loss of efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow

Reaction score
Ok, I think I may have found my problem, but we'll see what you guys think.

My mash temp was 163, which, after dumping in the grist, I estimate it was about 153. after stirring for about 5 mins I put a lid on it and just let it go for an hour before beginning my sparge. now, the sparge was prepared at about 160 (should have been about 170 I'm thinking. I only sparged for about 20 mins before it started running clear... (this means I'm done because it was a black ale...)
After the boil, I only had 4 gallons max for my supposed 5 gallon batch, and the gravity was 1.050 when it was supposed to be 1.060!

Now, what I figure is, I could stir 30 mins into the mash, and I could monitor the temp and reheat as necessary. also, my sparge temp should be 170 at least, and the sparge should last a minimum of 45 mins.

I bet the next time I brew, if I use these changes I'll have better efficiency.

I would suggest that you get a thermometer.

I try to mix very well before sparging. Think dissolving sugar from the bottom of a cup of coffee.

Those two things should help. Good Luck

Did you take any temperature readings during the mash? I usually need to heat my mash water to 166 or so for a thin mash and a preheated cooler to hit 153. I have found stirring during the mash to be important. Stir at mash in, then every 15 minutes or so. I give it a good stir about 3 minutes before both sparges (I only batch sparge). My sparge water is close to 190 to get the grain up to 170 degrees.

I have only fly sparged once, but I would suggest that next time you stir more often, sparge at about 1 qt/min (I think), and sparge until you get enough volume.

What was your efficiency? My first time I was only around 60%. I have now worked my way into the upper 70's to lower 80's.

Please show us your recipe including the water you used for the mash and sparge. It sounds like you were guessing at everything and it's hard to get predictable results when you do that.

Depending on how much water you used, 163 degrees is going to get you a mash somewhere in the 140s which is a bit low.

Sorry, I wasn't guessing, I use a digital thermometer, and the probe is buried pretty well in the mash... I estimated because i didn't write anything down.

Using Promash, I formulated the recipe at 69% which is about what i got last time I brewed.

My setup includes a HLT made from a converted Sanke with an electric heating element mounted in it and a hot-water tank thermostat, all this is wrapped in insulation the bottom of which is 60" above ground. at a lower height is my mash tun, again, converted sanke with a bazooka tube, uninsulated...(Something I will fix as soon as I figure out how to do it so the insulation won't burn because it's sitting over a LP burner.)
Then I sparge into a kettle on the floor, then hoist the kettle (Converted Sanke) onto the burner previously occupied by the mash tun.

the recipe was as follows:

Shadow of my former Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.50
Anticipated OG: 1.060 Plato: 14.72
Anticipated SRM: 27.4
Anticipated IBU: 27.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
10.0 1.25 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
76.0 9.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
8.0 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt(dark) America 1.033 20
4.0 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
2.0 0.25 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Hallertau Whole 8.50 27.6 40 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale

I mashed for 60 mins, sparged for 20, (I already know the sparge was too short), and boiled for 60.

Thx
-Shadow

Back