Loss of carbonation -- Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
Just doing a sanity checking here.

Force carbed my beer a week ago or so.
The carbonation was perfect for my Kolsch -- but, earlier this week I mistakenly unplugged my Kegerator (needed the outlet) and forgot to plug in for a day. So -- temp got up to 60-65.

Anyways -- plugged back in -- temperature is back to where it should be-- poured a beer and it is was fairly flat.

I'm assuming the warmer temp decreased the carbonation.

Should just go ahead and force carbonate it again?

Thanks for help.

Rick

Just doing a sanity checking here.

Force carbed my beer a week ago or so.
The carbonation was perfect for my Kolsch -- but, earlier this week I mistakenly unplugged my Kegerator (needed the outlet) and forgot to plug in for a day. So -- temp got up to 60-65.

Anyways -- plugged back in -- temperature is back to where it should be-- poured a beer and it is was fairly flat.

I'm assuming the warmer temp decreased the carbonation.

Should just go ahead and force carbonate it again?

Thanks for help.

Rick
The beer warming up in a sealed keg (or bottle) won't lose carbonation. The CO2 pressure in the headspace will increase somewhat. If the keg is only partially full, the beer can lose carbonation temporarily, as CO2 leaves the beer and pressurizes the headspace. The higher the headspace to beer ratio, the more CO2 can escape into the headspace. If you try to pour beer while the keg is warm, it may come out flat due to losing carb during the pour, or because the CO2 moved to the headspace (if the keg was near empty.) If you cool the keg back down, and allow the CO2 to reabsorb into the beer, it will be at its original carb level.

If the keg leaks CO2, or the headspace is vented, then you permanently lose CO2, and the carb level will not recover on cooling.

Brew on :mug:

The beer warming up in a sealed keg (or bottle) won't lose carbonation. The CO2 pressure in the headspace will increase somewhat. If the keg is only partially full, the beer can lose carbonation temporarily, as CO2 leaves the beer and pressurizes the headspace. The higher the headspace to beer ratio, the more CO2 can escape into the headspace. If you try to pour beer while the keg is warm, it may come out flat due to losing carb during the pour, or because the CO2 moved to the headspace (if the keg was near empty.) If you cool the keg back down, and allow the CO2 to reabsorb into the beer, it will be at its original carb level.

If the keg leaks CO2, or the headspace is vented, then you permanently lose CO2, and the carb level will not recover on cooling.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks for reply and info.
It's back to original CO2 level now, once it cooled down for awhile.
It was probably 3/4 full at the time, so imagine the Co2 filled the headpsace as you had mentioned -- that's why it was flat.

Thanks again.

rick

Back