Loss from racking mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avm221

Reaction score
So I just racked my first mead into secondary to let sit ubtil.it clears again. From all of the racking and leaving the yeast and a some mead still in the carboy. How much volume loss do you think you get from a 1gal batch. Do you even notice the loss?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Home Brew mobile app

I usually brew in a 2 gallon bucket for primary to get to 1.25 gallons or so. I find that I end up with 10 bottles, so a loss of 4 ounces is about what I end up with. I usually end up with 4 ounces in my glass at the end to accompany the bottles. I've found losses to be far worse on larger batches, though, particularly if you have fruit. I minimally rack for this reason. My basic process is to let the mead ferment fully in the bucket, then I sulfite and sorbate it, along with an addition of bentonite. I typically can see through the mead to the bottom of the bucket within 4-5 weeks. At that point, I'll rack and I find that I have a small amount of yeast that accumulates in the gallon jug, which I'll leave for 6-8 months. I don't understand the purpose of racking every 30 days as each racking is additional loss and additional oxygen exposure post fermentation.

Leaving it that long you don't get any off flavors from the yeast cake? So I racked it the first time yesterday, you think I should leave it there for about 4-6 months? Im 2 months in now. I have heard rack every 30 days, but I also fill my carboys with Co2 before I rack to minimize O2 exposure.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Home Brew mobile app

No guarantee that you will get off flavours.......

There's a few yeast that are known to give off flavours relatively quickly, but many are considered fine, in fact an improving taste......

I did some crazy calculations and hope to get what I was hoping for and will probably never achieve again if I tried but here's a picture of my blueberry Melomel. I used purée this time instead of fresh whole fruits mashed in a bag.
If you have any room left when you rack into another, just fill it up with some extra honey. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394945487.296523.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's a one gallon jug and a quart jack bottle and I'm going for one gallon of Mel but I had to put it into two secondaries as shown. I don't know **** btw except for my gut mostly and what I have collectively read and my own experiments. Just add honey and your fruit if you want to make up for the lose and you should be fine brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I usually pour the liquid left over from racking into a quart mason jar, trying to leave out the yeast. It clears just like it does in the carboy/bucket, usually a bit quicker, then you have some for tasting/topping off.

Back