Losing my marbles - actually my gas...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redshift

Reaction score
I could really use some suggestions. I'm having a very frustrating problem hanging on to my CO2. :confused:

A few months ago, I "upgraded" to a double body regulator so I could run 2 different pressures across my 3 kegs (2 at serving pressure, 1 at what ever is needed to get it carbed up). I have 2 different cylinders - a 5lb and a 10lb. I also have my old single body regulator.

First let me say that I've tried and tried to stop what must be some sort of leak. I've totally drained my 5lb and my 10lb is nearly empty. I've sprayed everything with soapy water and/or StarSan water looking for any bubbles pointing to a lead and found nothing anywhere.

First, I'm wondering if I've done something dumb by choosing plain old PVC for my gas line. It's rated for something like 50 or 60 lbs of pressure so I couldn't really see how using it for gas line would be a problem, but there are a zillion different kinds of hose, so I figured I would start by asking there. Also worth mentioning - all my connectors are MFL.

Second - my 3 kegs. 2 are refurbs. I've replaced all the O rings on them and the blow-off on one of them. None show any evidence of leaking. The third is a new one and I'm as certain as I can be that it doesn't leak.

Third, I discovered that my "new" regulator had a funny ridge on the mating surface. Looked like either the brass was deformed from being turned with an impact wrench or such, or it was just a casting error. I tried grinding down the ridge which may or may not have worked. The leak seemed to persist so I switched back to my old regulator - I'll order a new piece for it just to eliminate my "handy-work".

I can't see anyway that carbing and dispensing portions of 3 kegs could possibly use all that gas. Short of using the wrong tubing, I can't see anything else it could be. I know one thing - I'm sick of fighting this. :mad:

Thoughts/other suggestions would be much appreciated.

You could have a bad diaphram. Have you tried soapy water on the regulator to check for leaks?

It's possible, I switched back to my old single regulator over the weekend. I was convinced that the other regulator was the problem - still dropping even with my trusted one. :-(

Any concerns with just using basic clear PVC tubing for gas? I know they make thick walled red tubing I've seen used for this.

Do you have a large tote or something that you can submerge the tank, regulator and lines in? If so, that would be the best, then just look for the little bubbles. If you are indeed leaking that much CO2, it should be readily apparent.

do you have a large tote or something that you can submerge the tank, regulator and lines in? If so, that would be the best, then just look for the little bubbles. If you are indeed leaking that much co2, it should be readily apparent.

+1

Do you have a large tote or something that you can submerge the tank, regulator and lines in? If so, that would be the best, then just look for the little bubbles. If you are indeed leaking that much CO2, it should be readily apparent.

That's a sure way to start rusting the gauges on the regulator! Start by putting all your hose ends w/ the QD's attached into water to check for leaks. Also, any bad O-rings on the kegs can allow the CO2 to release as well.

If you have an accurate scale, weigh your tank (without regulator and hoses attached) daily to see the drop. To see if a keg is leaking, pull your hoses off the kegs and let it sit for a day or two and check the tank for loss. If it has stopped, the problem is a keg seal, if it still drops, the problem is the hoses/QD's/regulator (but probably not the reg since you've gone back to your old trusty one).

What type of clamps are you using on your connections? If you don't have them, get some Oetiker clamps and do all your connections with them.

This happened to me about a month ago. My CO2 loss wasn't as bad as yours, but I was using it up much faster than expected. I'm sure the leak lasted longer than I noticed it, but eventually it got to the point that I could hear air hissing out from between the gas hose (going from regulator to QD) and the QD itself. My equipment came with some plastic clamps that just snap together. This seal is not enough over time, so I just went out and bought some metal hose clamps and it works like a charm. Not sure if this could be your problem, but you should make sure your hose is securely attached to your QD's.

No issues with the vinyl at those pressures, (and if anyone starts blabbering about "CO2 permeability", slap em!). I second what everyone else says...just keep lookin!

On your mfl connections, do you have the nylon washers on any metal-to-metal connections? Without them, you can get the connection loosening up, and leaking.

Back