Losing a ton of heat during mash in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a lot of heat loss. But again it's 2.5 gallon in a 60° 10 gallon cooler. I don't know if I would want to put more than 185° strike water in a cooler for fear of warping. Maybe that's why some people pour a gallon of hot water in first and dump. Since you are going to do some tests how about trying 1/2 your strike water @185° wait 5 minutes and add the other half.

Yeah I know 2.5 is very little, but I do mostly 5g batches. I could always bump my mash back up to 1.3 qt/lb. I've been up to 200 without any warping. I'd rather not have that happen though! I did run another test after the first. My thermo read 120 in the MT, struck at 185 and only lost 13 degrees initially. I'll try using half and half next.

Brewed over the weekend. Didn't have time to run anymore tests. I estimated I'd lose 27F during the mash in. I lost around 32 15 minutes into the mash. MT was 65F and my strike water was 182. I had the pot of boiling water going and bumped it up to 155 like I wanted. I'm thinking the amount of water for a 5g batch is too small. I'd like to add a piece of exterior, reflective coated insulating styrofoam on the top of the mash or screwed to the inside of the lid. Hopefully that will trap some extra heat in.

Back