Looking to make a good chili beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cashscraft

Reaction score
Its for a computation and my base I was thinking could be an american wheat ale. I have some ideas on how to do it but was woundering if I could get some suggestions.

I recently did a green chili pale ale that came out pretty tasty. I ended up serving it at a local brew fest and it seemed to get pretty good reviews. I shot for a major balance something that the chili wouldn't over power. I went with Centennial for bittering, then used cascade and Mt. Hood to create a fairly citrus hop profile. Citrus seemed to pair very well with the spicey chilis. I used 3 reasonably sized hatch green chilis which had been roasted. I pealed and seeded them, put them in some cold water overnight and let them steep then added the water from the chilis at flame out.

IMO the key to doing a chili beer is not to let the chili overpower the palate. You can also check out Stone's veritcal epic 11.11.11, they used hatch chili's as well, and you can read how to brew it. Might help some with the process.

I made a "Bowl of Texas Red" chili beer. We grill jalapenos and thenpeel, dice,and freeze them, and used two ice cubes of those. Also used some dark chili powder, smoked paprika, and cumin. Some smoked malt, biscuit, and chocolate were used to build complexity. I have only had a couple so far, but my wife says I can go ahead and make a full batch (only made about a two gallon test batch) she liked it so well.
If I knew how to post my beersmith recipe, I'd put it up.

I make a really simple chile beer that's beloved by all. It's 85% 2 row and 10% carapils and 5% crystal 20, so you could just use all pale extract, and bittering hops to get around 15 IBUs. Ferment with a neutral strain and then I added three roasted hatch chiles and two fresh. I freeze the chiles to break down the walls, then chop them up and pasteurize in a little water. Add water and chiles to beer, let sit for seven days, then bottle. You can play around with adding flavor or aroma hop additions to make more of a pale ale but I like the straight flavor of malt and chile. You could add some jalepeno to give it some heat.

Chilis and chocolate work EXTREMELY well together. Consider a chocolate chili all of some kind.

So I think I have a plan. I am going to do a simple pale ale form NB called AK47 pale ale eitch has a little bit of coco in it and take 6 jalapenos frozen then chopped up and soaked in vodka for a week the strained and ill add to bottleing slowly tell I get a good flavor. This way I can add it to the last 2 gallons and not have so much of thos batch

If you are using green chiles from new Mexico you are making chile beer not chili beer. I have made epic chile beer with a 1.040 pale ale and dry hopping roasted hatch green chiles for a week or so.

I roasted my habanero pils a few years back. the light roasting didn't have much flavor effect.(affect?)

Cave creek chili is spicy but not overpowering. a good pale ale with pepper flavor and spice.

Chocolate chilis hagve no chocolate flavor. Cocoa? Yikes.

IMHO do a porter or stout if you are thinking chocolate.

A cocoa pale ale with peppers will be pure vomit.

Peppers, roasted or fresh should be fine in secondary, no vodka needed.

So I think I have a plan. I am going to do a simple pale ale form NB called AK47 pale ale eitch has a little bit of coco in it and take 6 jalapenos frozen then chopped up and soaked in vodka for a week the strained and ill add to bottleing slowly tell I get a good flavor. This way I can add it to the last 2 gallons and not have so much of thos batch

I know the beer you speak of and it does not have chocolate/cocoa/cacao in it. What you are seeing is pale chocolate malt - 1 oz to add a little bit of color to the beer.

On Saturday ill be brewing a Russian Imperial Jalepeno Stout dubbed The Chernobyl. Haven't decided on which peppers/chilies ill be adding yet.

What are the best prep methods for peppers? Roast, soak, freeze, just dump 'em in?

Ill post my recipe after its brewed

Back