looking to get into brewing lambics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would personally nix the aged hops and used whatever you have around to 10 IBUS. After aging it for a year you won't be able to tell the difference.

It doesn't really matter what hop varietal is used but if you want to go completely by the book, something noble will work.

When summer comes around, I take my two year old stock and put them in paper bags and stash up in the attic where it hits 110F. By the end of the summer, they're pretty much usable. I am flexible with variety but I skip alphas that are higher than 10%. If I can go noble, of course that's the preference.

You do NOT need aged hops, unless you are doing a spontaneous fermenation

If you are using a commercially available blend (WY/WL/ECY) then you can use any type of hop to ~10IB. This is because you are adding a known quantity and do not need the protective properties of lots of aged hops.

When doing a spontaneous ferment, you need all those aged hops to help protect against nasty bacteria that will make the wort taste like hot garbage/rotting cheese etc

Latest posts

Back