Looking for the common flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slurms

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last night I went to a local brewery and got an american IPA (with centennial) and a NEIPA (with mosaic). They both tasted different and correct for the style, but there was this aftertaste that was consistent between the two (not a bad thing). I'm terrible at describing what it tastes like, but it was almost like a earthy/crackery/buiscuity/nutty flavor. I know that doesn't narrow it down much... But thinking about it, it would have to come from either a common malt or something in the yeast as well. I also had a cream ale from a different brewery at one point and it also had a similar flavor.

Given the difference in flavors between the 3, what could be contributing to that aftertaste that I'm getting? My initial guess would be the type of yeast being used, but I didn't think yeast could give that kind of flavor. Is there a malt or an adjunct that could give that flavor? I've been curious about it ever since that cream ale from a few years ago and couldn't find much about it.

Any of these four grains could be in an IPA:
- Biscuit malt is crackery.
- Victory malt is biscuity, bready, & nutty.
- Munich malt is bready & malty.
- Vienna malt is malty & nutty

Earthy flavors are more likely yeast or hops.

Last edited:
You can always ask the brewer as well. I've found that if you can find the brewer on site, most of them will be happy to tell you what went in the beer (although maybe not the process or the amounts of each grain, proprietariness ya know). Especially if you tell them you're a homebrewer. Most of these guys started out just like us, brewing at home.

Well, had another beer last night (from a different place) that had that distinct flavor from above. Talked to that brewer and he told me It was 80/20 2-row/pilsner, used nugget as a late addition and dry hop, and used a clean Chico strain. Really the only common thread between all these beers is pilsner malt. Maybe that's the flavor pilsner brings to the party with a clean yeast? I'm at a loss with it, though doesn't really matter. I guess I'm gonna have to do a few small batch tests to see if I can figure it out.

Latest posts

Back