Looking for that dry roasted flavour.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nostrildamus

Reaction score
I have been looking for a distinct flavour I've found in a couple of commercial brews and I just can't place it. Unfortunately, due to the fact that I'm Canadian (note the spelling of flavour) most of the Americans out there won't know the two beers I'm going to mention. Alexander Keith's IPA (not even close to an IPA in my opinion) and Okanagan Spring Lager both have this toasted, dry roast flavour and I can't seem to place it. Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to brew a clone of these beers and I'm not really even that fond of either of them but I do want to impart that one note into my next batch. I can only explain it by likening it to how malt would taste if it were to take on some of the roast characteristics that dry roasted peanuts take on (without the malt tasting peanut like).

Can anyone say, from my convoluted explanation, a grain that would impart such a taste?

i dotn know if you want an answer this simple but dry comes from a very efficient yeast and roastiness comes from roasted malts

Alexander Keith's! I'm a big fan. Its probably more of a good memories thing cause I had a good trip to Ontario with some friends and that's what we drank when we were there. Too bad we can't get it here in the States. Oddly enough I posted about Alexander Keith's on these very forums and perhaps even took some EAC flack for it being too close to BMC beer to reasonably like, but here is the thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com//showthread.php?t=8432

Cheers!

A lot of good pale ales have a hint of "roast" in their flavor. Bass Ale for instance calls for .75 Oz of Roasted Barley.

Thry a smidge of roasted barley and see if that gives you that hint of flavor you're talking about.

Alexander Keith’s is right up there with Labatt Blue, Coors Light, Budweiser, etc, etc, etc. Which are beers made with mostly Corn, almost no hops, and zero flavour. They probably get the toasted flavour from the bottles they use!!! The fact that Keith’s even puts India Pale Ale on the label is a disgrace to the Brewing world and the history of the beer style. In a perfect world everyone would stop drinking these mass produced beers and start paying more attention to what goes into their beer versus what they actually pay for it. Especially in Canada where a 24 pack of the major brand will cost you over $35, and that is for a product made of mostly GMO Corn!!!!

Back