Looking for suggestions on IPA hop schedule.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutchaser

Reaction score
Hey y'all I keep going back and forth on what I want to do so I thought I would ask the good folks on here for your advice. I want to brew up an IPA tonight kinda want it on more the dank piney side. I already have the grain bill:
10.5 lbs 2 row
2.5 white wheat
.35 60L crystal
Here's where I need help! The hops I have on hand are
2 oz citra
2 oz Columbus
2 oz chinook
2 oz mosaic
1 oz warrior
So would be a good hop schedule for a more piney IPA? Thanks for any help.

I'm no expert but this is what I would do with what you have.

Bittering:
Warrior or Columbus 1oz @ 60 min.

I would do an ounce of Chinook, Citra and Mosaic as late additions. Maybe Chinook around 15 mins, .5 of Citra and Mosaic at 5 min and then the other .5 oz of Citra and Mosaic at flame out.
Or maybe even split the Chinook. I would have to run some calculations to see what the IBUs would roughly be to see if it's where I want it.

Dry Hops:
Add the remaining ounce of Citra, Mosaic and Chinook for 4 days (+/-).

EDIT - I'm not sure you're going to be able to get a "piney" character with those hops. So the above info is what I would do with the ingredients you have listed.

Beersmith says:
Chinook - Aroma: Heavy and spicy aroma
Warrior - Aroma: Neutral, clean, mild
Columbus (Tomahawk) - Aroma: Pungent, spicy. Strongly aromatic, but clean tasting bitterness
Citra - Aroma: Adds interesting citrus and tropical fruit character to the beer.
Mosaic - Aroma: Rich in mango, lemon, citrus, pine, and notably, blueberry.

1 oz warrior - 60 minute
2 oz Columbus - 15 minute
2 oz Chinook - Flameout
2 oz mosaic - 5 Day Dry hop
2 oz citra - 5 day Dry hop

Hop variety matters most for piney/dank vs tropical/fruity but IMO timing is just as important.

West Coast style IPA - Strong bitterness, Piney/Dank aroma and flavor. Need a 60 minute,15 minute, and flameout addition for strong bittering and aroma.

NE style IPAs - Low bitterness, Huge tropical/fruity aroma. Need a light 60 minute, then a huge flameout/whirlpool addition.

Wow you guys are fast! Thanks for the info. I could be wrong but I alway have thought chinook was pretty piney and Columbus a bit dank so I was thinking about adding both those as late additions.

Well that's the great thing about home brewing Troutchaser. You can do whatever you want. ;)
Also, everyone's tastes are different. I'm not familiar with Columbus, but have used CTZ and I haven't used Chinook yet. Some may pick out those characters while others do not. I think with Citra and Mosaic, if those are late additions and/or dry hops you will get a more fruity character to your beer. I know Citra is a pretty strong hop IMHO.

Whatever you decide to do, report back and let us know. Cheers! :mug:

Back