Looking for suggestions for a coffee beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlutter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have about a gallon of really good light roast coffee that is very smooth with notes of berry flavors. I'd like to use it in a beer to highlight the coffee and the berries. I have been unable to find recipes using already brewed coffee and all the articles I have read don't provide much guidance. Thanks in advance. This is proving to be more challenging than expected.

I'm looking for ideas/suggestions on several things:

1. Style suggestions (with or without recipes); I saw one post mentioning a coffee Vienna lager that sounded very interesting. I was wondering about a pale Belgian style or maybe go British with a mild ale or ESB.....I think porters and stouts will overpower this coffee so I'd like to go a different route unless someone can convince me otherwise.

2. Suggestions of how much coffee to add and when. Even if your experience is only with porters or stouts, I'll take what I can get for experiences. I'm guessing it will be late primary, secondary, or at bottling.

3. Suggestions to give the beer a fuller, creamier mouth feel and amounts to use; I really wish I had nitro but sadly, no. Not sure if I will go this route but I am envisioning mimicking an iced coffee with milk

It may be too late for the coffee I have on hand and I'll just have to drink it but I can easily get more from my local hipster coffee shop.

Here's a recipe I just made, a coffee porter, 5 gallons:

9 lbs Pale Ale Malt
1 lb Munic 10L
8 oz Flaked Barley
8 oz Caramel/Crystal 60L
8 oz Chocolate Malt
4 oz Black Patent Malt
0.5 oz Nugget (13%) 60 min
0.5 oz Cascade (7.8%) 30 min
0.5 oz Cascade (7.8%) 10 min
0.5 oz Cascade (7.8%) steep/whirlpool
Ringwood Yeast
Steep/whirlpool hops goes in at flameout, whirlpool, and let sit for 10 minutes before putting on the chiller.
Chill to 60, aerate 15 minutes, then add yeast.
Put in fermentation chamber set at 68.
Original gravity right at 1.6, exactly as targeted.

4/1: pitched yeast at 4:00 @ 68
4/2: wake up, yeast is active
4/3: yeast is slowing down, so ramped up to 70
4/7: made cold-brewed coffee, 4 oz coffee added to nylon mesh bag, added 16 oz cold water to mason jar, put in fridge.
4/12: coffee (liquid, not grounds, obviously) added to keg, racked beer on top of coffee in the keg. Hit it with 30 psi and disconnected gas
4/14: hit it again with 30 psi, disconnected gas
4/16: hooked up to 10 psi gas.
Initial tasting: worried it would be too sweet with the high FG, but tastes good. Definite coffee flavors. Others who have tasted it say it has "a lot of flavor".

It didn't get down where it was supposed to for FG, but I'm pleasantly surprised, it's a nice beer. My first time using Ringwood, not sure I'd use it again. The beer is good, but I think the calls for better oxygen are true for this yeast, hence it stalled out on me.

Think I'll go pour myself one right now, it's beer-thirty.

Back