Looking for Southern Tier IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawleyFarms

Reaction score
Hi guys! Been working on ciders and wines for awhile now but have some brews I've been wanting to try.

I work with a guy whose family supplies hops to Southern Tier and was given a pound of Centennial hops in exchange for a gallon of beer.

These guys love their IPA's and support ST every chance they can so I'm looking for an extract recipe that will give me an end product somewhat similar to a ST ipa or 2xipa using the centennials I was given. Of course I'm willing to buy another variety or two to complete the recipe.

Would like to keep my first batch as an extract to get familiar with beer brewing. And I will be bottle priming so will not be able to hop a keg. Any suggestions?

Cool man! My family lives in Wyoming County. I'm not sure exactly what is in Southern Tier IPA but a lot of clones suggest Northern Brewer/Cascade/Citra hops. You could also email Southern Tier, they can be quite helpful and may give you a lot of information you are looking for. Some of their bottles have ingredients on them as well...

Unearthly IPA

Even though you are not kegging, you can always consider dry hopping for the last couple days in primary. Though it may not be what you are looking for, dry hopping with citra can be amazing. Good luck buddy.

Want an easy recipe that you don't need any special equipment to get temps and beer right?

Centennial IPA - Here's my quick and dirty take on it.
5 gallon batch
7# extra light DME
2# dextrose (corn sugar, table sugar fine too)

Steep - 16 oz C20, 6 oz C60, 6 oz wheat malt @ 155 for 20 minutes or so
Hops - 1 -2 ounce centennial 60 minutes (1 ounce normal bitterness, 2 if you want it much moreso), 2 ounces 30 minutes, 3 ounces 10 minutes, 3 ounces flameout, 3 ounce dryhop for 3-4 days before bottling after fermentation completed. No secondary required or desired.

For yeast use US05 or belle saison depending on what you want - these are very tolerant of room temperatures.

I'm not an extract brewer, but that should be a decent basic all-centennial IPA using 3/4 of your pound of centennial and get you to around 7% ABV.

It's not going to match southern tier, they use different hops and you'll never get a clone right on your first try anyway, but should be a good beer in the same spirit as that one.

That's not an extract recipe. If you do brew that, you will have to reformulate it with brewing software / maths, and you can replace the citra with centennial (I think those are similar, YMMV.)

Ugh. Maths.

Start with the extract recipe skunkfunk posted.

Sorry I didn't see that you wanted extract.

I believe that if you look on their bottle it states the hops and other information on the beer.

Good call just using Centennial instead of Columbus.

Want an easy recipe that you don't need any special equipment to get temps and beer right?

Centennial IPA - Here's my quick and dirty take on it.

Steep - 16 oz C20, 6 oz C60, 6 oz wheat malt @ 155 for 20 minutes or so

By C20 and C60 I assume you are talking crystal malts?

Hops - 1 -2 ounce centennial 60 minutes (1 ounce normal bitterness, 2 if you want it much moreso), 2 ounces 30 minutes, 3 ounces 10 minutes, 3 ounces flameout, 3 ounce dryhop for 3-4 days before bottling after fermentation completed. No secondary required or desired.

For yeast use US05 or belle saison depending on what you want - these are very tolerant of room temperatures.

Actually I have a packet of Belle Saison that I had set aside for a Farmhouse maple cyser I had planned maybe I will use it for this instead.

I'm not an extract brewer, but that should be a decent basic all-centennial IPA using 3/4 of your pound of centennial and get you to around 7% ABV.

It's not going to match southern tier, they use different hops and you'll never get a clone right on your first try anyway, but should be a good beer in the same spirit as that one.

They must use centennial for some of their brews since the family I got mine from sell nearly exclusively to ST and they only grow centennial, cascade and I cant remember the third variety.

Yes.

That will work great.

Thanks skunkfunk!

What do you think about dry hopping with cascade instead or maybe saaz? Would it change the flavor and aroma drastically or would it still be ok?

What do you think the IBU's would be on this brew?

You should check out Brewersfriend.com.

You can input the ingredients you have and it will tell you IBU's, expected gravity and ABV and style. That way you can adjust the hops on the recipe until you reach your target IBU's and style. I'm not trying to deflect someone from giving you your answer, it is just an amazing tool and worth checking out.

Thanks skunkfunk!

What do you think about dry hopping with cascade instead or maybe saaz? Would it change the flavor and aroma drastically or would it still be ok?

What do you think the IBU's would be on this brew?

Don't have the software I used to make that handy right now but I think somewhere from 50-80 ibu depending on the AA. Saaz might be a little strange but using some other hops can definitely add nice complexity.

You should check out Brewersfriend.com.

You can input the ingredients you have and it will tell you IBU's, expected gravity and ABV and style. That way you can adjust the hops on the recipe until you reach your target IBU's and style. I'm not trying to deflect someone from giving you your answer, it is just an amazing tool and worth checking out.

Will definitely check it out! I stumbled upon that site earlier but didn't get a chance to look around. Thanks for all the help guys!

So I plugged the following recipe into brewer's friend and this is what I've come up with for a Centennial based IPA:

Batch size: 5 ga
Boil size: 4 ga
Approx OG: 1.082
Approx FG: 1.016
ABV: 8.62%
IBU's: 76.00

7lbs Light DME
2lbs Honey
6oz Wheat DME
1lb Crystal 20
6oz Crystal 60

1oz Centennial 60min
2oz Centennial 30min
2oz Centennial 15min
3oz Centennial 0min

Pitch Danstar Belle Saison and ferment between 70-75 degrees.

Dry hop with 1oz Cascade for 4 days after fermentation.

Prime with 1 cup corn sugar. Bottle and condition.

What does everyone think? Any suggestions or potential problems? Don't hold back, this batch will be for some IPA loving hop growers so it has to be good. Deviated from original recipe slightly so let me have it!

Danstar Belle Saison yeast fermented between 70-75

I generally bottle condition for 2 weeks before I try one. I have found 2 weeks to be adequate but 4-6 weeks is ideal.

So I plugged the following recipe into brewer's friend and this is what I've come up with for a Centennial based IPA:

Batch size: 5 ga
Boil size: 4 ga
Approx OG: 1.082
Approx FG: 1.016
ABV: 8.62%
IBU's: 76.00

7lbs Light DME
2lbs Honey
6oz Wheat DME
1lb Crystal 20
6oz Crystal 60

1oz Centennial 60min
2oz Centennial 30min
2oz Centennial 15min
3oz Centennial 0min

Pitch Danstar Belle Saison and ferment between 70-75 degrees.

Dry hop with 1oz Cascade for 4 days after fermentation.

Prime with 1 cup corn sugar. Bottle and condition.

What does everyone think? Any suggestions or potential problems? Don't hold back, this batch will be for some IPA loving hop growers so it has to be good. Deviated from original recipe slightly so let me have it!

Danstar Belle Saison yeast fermented between 70-75

What'd it say the SRM was?

Use malted wheat in the steeping, not 6 oz of extract. You have to buy a whole thing of extract, can't get just 6 oz.

Also if you want to save some more money, the honey is pretty much just sugar once you add the yeast. It won't leave any honey flavor.

Minimum time to bottle condition is 6-7 days before you get good carbonation, in my experience. 2 weeks is a safe bet.

Thanks skunk! I cant remember right now exactly what the SRM was but I will check when I get home.

Fortunately, honey is free to us so we use it in place of corn sugar, white and brown sugar all the time. We get 30 pound buckets of the same honey used in Honey Brown lager for free. That and we will be starting two hives on the homestead this spring as well.

Thanks for the tip, I will get malted wheat instead of extract.

Back