Looking for some fermentation advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madj42

Reaction score
Not sure where to begin with this. I've been on the forums for awhile but have never posted anything since I've always been able to find the info I need without asking. Unfortunately I'm out of ideas on this one. I'm having a hard time getting my extract brews to fully attenuate. They always seem to be 10-20 points below what FG should be. I've brewed all sorts of styles and continue to have the same issue (IPA, Kolsch, Hefeweizen, etc.). Over the past couple of brews I've invested in a oxygen injection system, a NB megapot, a new burner, a yeast starter kit, and a stir plate thinking any one of these would help. Hasn't yet.

I've been prepping the yeast starter 1 day before brewing and I've injected oxygen into the wort for 20-30 seconds. I've also been pitching around 70 degrees for most of the kits I've brewed. The average temp of most of the carboys when brewing (based off of one of the stick on the side thermometers) is 64-66 degrees.

I'm currently brewing the cologne kolsch kit (w/ Wyeast 2565) from Midwest Supplies and I'm 10-13 points above what FG should be (SG was 1.043 and I'm at 1.023 after 2 weeks). It's been a week with it stuck at 1.023. I've tried aggitating the yeast and I moved it to a warmer spot in the house last night thinking that might do some good (even though it's a low floculating yeast).

Am I doing something wrong here? Am I too impatient?

N
I'm currently brewing the cologne.....

Good Gravy Man you are brewing with Cologne! Isn't that a fancy name for toilet water? Theres your problem then poor sanitization... ahhhh Just joking.

You seem to have hit the obvious punch list. After three days at the same gravity your yeast are done.

All thats left are stupid things to ask so my apologies in advance, here goes: Did you temps dip or spike mid fermentation? Was your starter raging (mini krausen) before pitching? Did your yeast hit a high krausen before petering out? Did you rinse out your sanitizer if you are using a rinse type sanitizer? How long are you running your 02?

One quick idea try sprinkle of a dry yeast like us-05.. its cheap and a monster.

How are you measuring your gravity? Hydrometer or refractometer? If you're using a refractometer, that could be your problem. They give twitchy readings in the presence of alcohol...

There's a HUGE amount of information on this here: http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/

Sigh... Seriously? :eek:

Yeah, I've been using a refractometer since I broke my hydrometer. I guess I'll be picking up another hydrometer. So based on that calculator, if I plug in 11 as my original RI and 6 as my final RI, it turns out to be around the correct ABV. Assuming I used the calculator correctly.

Boy, do I feel stupid if this is the case. If it is, glad it's something simple and easy.

Yeah, I've been using a refractometer since I broke my hydrometer. I guess I'll be picking up another hydrometer. So based on that calculator, if I plug in 11 as my original RI and 6 as my final RI, it turns out to be around the correct ABV. Assuming I used the calculator correctly.

Boy, do I feel stupid if this is the case. If it is, glad it's something simple and easy.

Don't worry, I won't call the Beer Police on you. If I did, I have to admit to the same errors myself. :D

Although a refractometer is easy to use in some ways, getting an accurate reading is a bit of a pain until your system is calibrated against a hydrometer. Always double check with a hydrometer.

$10 says your attenuation is fine. :ban: If the numbers you just gave are accurate, your attenuation is about 71.4%... not bad depending on your yeast strain and recipe.

Cool beans.. Evrose saved the bacon... I would not have thought about that. Thats why you gotta love this forum, somebody always has an answer.:mug:

I gotta ask, mad42 does the beer taste sweet and cloying, under attenuated?

I just wanted to say, I ended up buying a hydrometer and did multiple readings. Turns out it the FG was 1.010. Thanks for the tip. Bad thing is, I broke the new hydrometer after I used it. Why I can't keep these damn things in one piece is beyond me. :confused:

The beer does not taste sweet. It tastes like all of the other kolsch's I've had. :)

Using a refractometer is *fine*. You just need to know how. The reading in the presence of alcohol doesn't work the same.

Beersmith has a refractometer calculator that can help. As long as you have the OG and the current refrac reading *in Brix*, you can get the SG of beer that has alcohol.

I suggest you retest your refractometer value through the calculator, and I'll bet the corrected reading is 1.010.

Latest posts

Back