Looking for Safest Solution: Connecting 10/3 AWG to 4-Prong Dryer Receptacle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThickHead

Reaction score
I am looking for a bit of advice from the community related to using the 4-prong dryer receptacle to power my 240V 30A control panel. My control panel is wired using 240V 30A 10/3 AWG (3/C 10 AWG) wire with NEMA L6-30P (Male) and NEMA L6-30R (Female) twist-lock connectors. The wall receptacle that I would like to use to power the control panel (and ultimately my 5500W ULWD burner) requires a NEMA 14-30P (four-prong)connector.

Two questions, in order of importance:

1. Should I even be considering this? (i.e. is it safe and/or is it a code violation?)
  2. If it is safe (and not a code violation), what would be an acceptable solution?

Not to be rude, but the safest way is to hire an electrician. He won't do it wrong and may save your house and family a lot of greif in the future. If ya dont know, get a pro.
Wheelchair Bob

Not to be rude, but the safest way is to hire an electrician. He won't do it wrong and may save your house and family a lot of greif in the future. If ya dont know, get a pro.
Wheelchair Bob

Thanks for your input. There are EEs (pros) that participate in this forum who's advice I respect, which is the reason for this post. If I feel I am in over my head, I will not hesitate to seek additional professional advice.

So are you saying that your control panel is wired completely with H-H-G (no neutral), and the wall outlet has H-H-N-G? What do you use for a GFCI? Do you run any 120V circuits in the control panel, and if so, how do you derive them?

So are you saying that your control panel is wired completely with H-H-G (no neutral), and the wall outlet has H-H-N-G?

Correct.

What do you use for a GFCI?

In-line 240v 30amp GFCI cord.

Do you run any 120V circuits in the control panel, and if so, how do you derive them?

None. Everything runs off the 240v.

I was initially considering hooking it up like a 3-wire welder where the neutral is not used, since nothing runs off 120v.

OK. I am no electrician, so you may want to wait for someone else to chime in. That said, I would think it would work, without creating any hazard, if you removed your NEMA L6-30P plug, replaced with a NEMA 14-30P plug, where you only wire H-H-G to your new plug. In effect, you are just not tapping into the neutral in the NEMA 14-30R receptacle, which should not be a problem since you are not using a neutral downstream.

I don't know whether it would violate any code provision, but I cannot think of any safety issues.

OK. I am no electrician, so you may want to wait for someone else to chime in. That said, I would think it would work, without creating any hazard, if you removed your NEMA L6-30P plug, replaced with a NEMA 14-30P plug, where you only wire H-H-G to your new plug. In effect, you are just not tapping into the neutral in the NEMA 14-30R receptacle, which should not be a problem since you are not using a neutral downstream.

I don't know whether it would violate any code provision, but I cannot think of any safety issues.

Thanks for the input. This is my thinking as well. However, I needed a sanity check prior to proceeding. So I will continue to research while I wait for someone with some expertise in the subject matter to pitch in.

Back