Looking for: Porter/Stout - Mouth Feel - Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

732Brewer

Reaction score
Anybody have any real nice all grain porter/stouts that have a real long lasting mouth feel and have an abv of 7.8%+ ?? I would like some feedback because I am wanting to make something like that so I can add espresso and then an ale that I can add scotch/whiskey to (same mouth feel and abv). I have beersmith so maybe there is something already some recipes which I can be pointed to.

A lot of the time I drink porters/stouts and the head is thin and/or the beer tastes thin. This is something I really want to stay away from. Sipping beers are my go-to.

Here's my base sweet stout recipe that I think is pretty solid. It's a little under 7% so not quite the ABV you're looking for, but you could easily adjust that by adding another 2lb or so of 2-row.

For 5 gallons:
OG: 1.062
8lb 2-row
1lb Chocolate malt
.5lb Roasted Barley
.5lb Caramel 40
.5lb Caramel 80
1lb Lactose added at flameout
36IBU (about 2.25oz) Fuggle @60min

Here's my base sweet stout recipe that I think is pretty solid. It's a little under 7% so not quite the ABV you're looking for, but you could easily adjust that by adding another 2lb or so of 2-row.

For 5 gallons:
OG: 1.062
8lb 2-row
1lb Chocolate malt
.5lb Roasted Barley
.5lb Caramel 40
.5lb Caramel 80
1lb Lactose added at flameout
36IBU (about 2.25oz) Fuggle @60min

Have you tried the above with coffee beans and/or vanilla beans? If so, how much would you recommend for a 5g and/or 10g batch?

The answer is actually yes to both. I brewed a cherry vanilla stout in 2008, which was actually where this recipe emerged from, and scraped in two vanilla beans at flameout. The cherries overtook any vanilla character though, so I can't speak to how the vanilla itself came out.

As for coffee, last year I cold-steeped enough coffee to make a quart overnight and added that at flameout. It was solid but I wouldn't say outstanding.

I've had success with making vanilla extract by scraping the insides into a small container filled with about 4 oz of vodka. I added this to the priming solution at the time of bottling. Nice, well rounded vanilla flavor in my pumpkin spice porter. I only used 1 bean though and I should have used 2.

The answer is actually yes to both. I brewed a cherry vanilla stout in 2008, which was actually where this recipe emerged from, and scraped in two vanilla beans at flameout. The cherries overtook any vanilla character though, so I can't speak to how the vanilla itself came out.

As for coffee, last year I cold-steeped enough coffee to make a quart overnight and added that at flameout. It was solid but I wouldn't say outstanding.

Ok great - that info helps me. I was considering using whole beans, and putting them in, either at flameout or in the secondary. Could I do the same thing with this, as the vanilla (put the beans in vodka)?

I've had success with making vanilla extract by scraping the insides into a small container filled with about 4 oz of vodka. I added this to the priming solution at the time of bottling. Nice, well rounded vanilla flavor in my pumpkin spice porter. I only used 1 bean though and I should have used 2.

That was 1 bean for 5g right? I am going to be making a 10gal batch and wanted to know what you thought of 3beans in 10gal. Also, did you shave the beans or just split them down the middle?

Both. Split down the middle and then scraped the seeds. I did 1 bean in 4 oz vodka in a 5 gallon batch and i wish i had done 2 beans. I let it sit for 3 weeks and then added it to the priming solution before racking on bottling day

Back