Looking for inexpensive aeration kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kriso77

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start my second batch and I'm looking for an inexpensive Aeration Kit. I've dropped a lot of money on my supplies, so I'm looking for some ideas that can save me a couple bucks. Maybe a stupid question, but I'll throw it out there. Can I use something like a filtered aquarium pump?

Also, what is the best way to use it? Can I just stick the tube in my carboy or do I want to aerate in the brew pot. I am pretty much using extract and partial mash kits right now.

Thanks!

kriso77 said:
I am getting ready to start my second batch and I'm looking for an inexpensive Aeration Kit. I've dropped a lot of money on my supplies, so I'm looking for some ideas that can save me a couple bucks. Maybe a stupid question, but I'll throw it out there. Can I use something like a filtered aquarium pump?

Also, what is the best way to use it? Can I just stick the tube in my carboy or do I want to aerate in the brew pot. I am pretty much using extract and partial mash kits right now.

Thanks!

Some people use a stainless steel air stone and an aquarium pump.

FWIW, I've done just north of 35 batches this year and have never used an aeration "system", other than stirring up the crap out of my wort with a wire whisk.

Unless you're doing full boils, you can get the aeration you need from shaking the carboy for a while.

Or one of these:

siphon-sprayer.jpg

http://northernbrewer.com/aeration.html

Or the best aeration system,

S78.JPG

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAM_S_OXYGEN_AERATION_SYST_P699C106.cfm

I wouldn't spend anything until you can get the kit from Williams. It's the Rolls Royce at a Honda price.

I use a paint mixer attached to a cordless drill and have never had a problem.
As a matter of fact I had bubbling 4 hours after pitching with my Oatmeal Stout this past weekend.

I've used a 20gal aquarium pump ($9.99 at PetCo) with some sterile cotton in-line . No airstone, just have a couple bottlecaps attached to the end of the air hose. I let that baby go for about 90 mins with intermittent shaking and it seems to work great. I've also used it with starters, and just left it bubbling through the starter for a couple of days: also with great results.

That siphon sprayer looks really neat, and I'd imagine works really well.

Hope that helps.

Siphon sprayer by itself is probably not enough to fully aerate a full wort boil. I found that out the hard way with a batch a few weeks ago. Crappy attenuation on that batch. Shaking the carboy helps for sure.

I use the aeration stone and aquarium pump route. It works very well. I just let it go while I am cleaning up the rest of my brew gear, and by the time I am done, the wort is good to be pitched with yeast.. cheap and easy.

bnutting said:
I use a paint mixer attached to a cordless drill and have never had a problem.
As a matter of fact I had bubbling 4 hours after pitching with my Oatmeal Stout this past weekend.

IMHO, a short 4 hour lag is a sure sign you didn't have enough O2. Appropriate saturation actually delays fermentation for the most part during yeast reproduction. Of course, if you pitched a big starter, ignore this. O2 requirements are highly dependent on yeast cell count pitched.

Deep tank aquarium pump with inline 0.2micron filter from More Beer and 30 minutes will saturate your wort with oxygen. I don't use an air stone as found it makes too much foam. I simply (and cheaply ;) ) Thread some sanitized airline tubing from the filter down through my racking cane and place that in my fermentor so it bubbles from the bottom.

if you go to a 'real' aquarium shop, you can usually get the sintered glass airstones for less than 50 cents each...cheap enough to use once (just suck sanitizer up in it first) if you can't find the SS airstone/diffusers.

you can also get some bits there to build the little inline filter for the air pump.

Does the wand on that Williams setup have an SS aeration stone on the bottom of it, or is it just a wand with holes in it down at the bottom?

aekdbbop said:
I use the aeration stone and aquarium pump route. It works very well. I just let it go while I am cleaning up the rest of my brew gear, and by the time I am done, the wort is good to be pitched with yeast.. cheap and easy.

Will I need a filter of some type going this route? I've heard some people mention putting some cotton in the line.

kriso77 said:
Will I need a filter of some type going this route? I've heard some people mention putting some cotton in the line.

the kit i got from an online supplier came with an inline hepa filter.. and yes you need one. not sure about cotton as an air filter..

I looked at HD, Lowes, and Ace Hardware last night looking for an O2 tank and regulator. No luck, they only sell them in the "Cutting Torch" package at $50. I have a stone and I have tubing, unfortunately my inherited medical O2 tanks are empty and I wanted to brew my Imp. Stout today. Guess I'll have to "whisk it!" He he, get it?

Wild

I have never used anything but the shaking the bucket method. I also have never taken a hydrometer reading. IMO one week in the primary is good for most all pale ales or hefes. Taking readings does little more than make people feel like they are scientists.

bullsh*t. there is no way to know you're beer is done without a hydrometer reading. most beers will be done in a week, but telling someone not to use a hydrometer is BAD ADVICE. especially when you don't know what kind of beer they are making.

I top off with tap water and shake for aeration, unless i'm making a big beer. you shouldn't do this until you check your water.

DeathBrewer said:
bullsh*t. there is no way to know you're beer is done without a hydrometer reading. most beers will be done in a week, but telling someone not to use a hydrometer is BAD ADVICE. especially when you don't know what kind of beer they are making.

I top off with tap water and shake for aeration, unless i'm making a big beer. you shouldn't do this until you check your water.
I did not tell anyone not to use a hydrometer. I said that I do not use one & for my pale ales or hefes a week is fine. There is lots of bad advice on this forum (like adding tap water), but this is not a medical lab and procedures do not need to be followed if felt unnecessary. People can relax and do it their way.

that's why i said to check the water...most tap water won't work well for brewing and should be boiled first or use bottled water, etc.
King of the Swill said:
Taking readings does little more than make people feel like they are scientists.
With that commment, you just insulted a vast majority of the members on this forum.

i've never "felt like a scientist" when brewing, it's about having fun...but i like to know where my brew is a hydrometer is the ONLY WAY to know for sure.

Back