Looking for ideas to use these motors...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silentdrinker

Reaction score
I had two hospital beds sitting in a shed on a piece of property we're about to develop on. They've been there for many many years. I know they're worth some money, but chances of selling them are slim. I decided to remove all the parts and recycle the metal frames.

Now I have 6 motors.

3 of them (the black ones) are 1550 RPM with a 19:1 gear box attached, so they operate at about 81RPM

2 of them operate at 85 rpm

and 1 of them operates at 60 rpm

All of the motors are 110v and they go forward and reverse (plus I kept the box to use the remote control on them) And I also noticed none of them have vents. I also think they're rated for like 400b

They're completely sealed, so I would assume dust from a mill wouldn't be much of an issue.

I have a motor for a mill, but it's a massive 1725 motor and requires very large pulleys to drop the RPM enough. I like the idea of direct drive even if it's a lower RPM. So I'm thinking about using 1 of the 85 rpm to motorize my mill. I could also add a 1.5" pulley to the mill, and a 1" to the motor. This would up the RPM to about 127. Or a 2" and 1" would go up to 170 RPM.

I'm in the process of building an all electric brewery with a 8020 aluminum stand. I was thinking I could use the 60 RPM motor to motorize my tippy dump. Hit the button, and it will tip the kettle, then it was bring it back.

I was thinking I could build a scissor lift with some of this 8020 and a few strips of 1/4" thick 2" flat stock aluminum. This could be useful for a lot of things.

I even toyed around with the idea of building a fully adjustable brew stand where I can adjust the pots heights

Anyway... I'm open for ideas. What could I use these for Homebrewing or non home brewing related?

Motors.jpg

I think your grain mill idea is good since those motors already have some gear drive on them and will produce enough torque to drive a mill. I use a electric power steering assist motor assembly from a Saturn Vue to drive my mill.

This is the best part of home brewing! Thinking outside the box.

Not brewing, but my first thought was use one to drive a sausage grinder....motorize a crank style #32 grinder...use one has a short shaft.

build a motorized BIAB hoist system for bigger batches?

Back