Looking for ideas on how to add in a 'cornbread' flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellPhish

Reaction score
I got a though about coming up with an amber/brown ale with the biscuit, almond, earthy, flavors but was thinking how awesome it would be to add that sweet cornbread sort of flavor.

A friend and I came up with (please dont laugh) frosted flakes, plain flaked maize (possibly roast that), and maybe wheat.

Ideas?

Maybe, use biscuit malt and steep some maize from the lhbs? No idea if it'll work but seems like a good approach.

Beer is already quite bready and good cornbread has a very forward buttery flavor.

Sounds like intentional diacetyl to me.

The Australian ale yeast throws warm bready esters over 70 degrees, I could almost see cornbread, with marris otter/biscuit malt/10% honey/plus some crystal of some sort for sweetness. It may be the same yeast as the coopers dry yeast, or is seasonal in march.

You need quite a lot of flaked maize for it to leave a noticeable flavour, and by then the beer will become dry and probably lack body. What about adding flour into the boil? Breweries used flour to clear beer back in the day, and sometimes added flour as a fermentable at different stages.

hmm, buttery huh? what other ways could one get the buttery/sweet flavors? the honey and caramel malts for sweet but what for buttery?

hmm, buttery huh? what other ways could one get the buttery/sweet flavors? the honey and caramel malts for sweet but what for buttery?

To get buttery my thought would be to use a yeast known to produce a fair amount of diacytel. Once it hits terminal gravity and before the yeast gets to clean up after itself, package the beer.

I've made one lager with a Diacytel problem but I don't remember exactly how I did it. Now I'm anal about d-resting; even with ales.

secondary addition?

cornbread.jpg

I really dont know if you intentionally want diacetyl. Yeah its buttery, but in any quantity over barely perceptible it tastes of rancid butter and is rather bloating. I dont think you want to drink it.

When I think of cornbread I think of corn (obviously), and butter and honey.

Never used flaked maize, but I imagine that would help. Also, maybe aim for some DMS (creamed corn flavor)? Some slight diacytel will help with butter. And some honey malt could give you honey flavor.

Maybe something like...Pils base but don't boil for 90 min or let it cool down slower for DMS. British ale yeast for diacytel. And honey malt for honey.

When I think of cornbread I think of corn (obviously), and butter and honey.

Never used flaked maize, but I imagine that would help. Also, maybe aim for some DMS (creamed corn flavor)? Some slight diacytel will help with butter. And some honey malt could give you honey flavor.

Maybe something like...Pils base but don't boil for 90 min or let it cool down slower for DMS. British ale yeast for diacytel. And honey malt for honey.

so use slightly heated or room temp water to cool the wort and bring down the temp of the cooler water more gradually?

what is DMS?

and from what I've read... a little honey malt goes a long way.

I think I'm getting an idea of how to pull this off.

so use slightly heated or room temp water to cool the wort and bring down the temp of the cooler water more gradually?

what is DMS?

and from what I've read... a little honey malt goes a long way.

I think I'm getting an idea of how to pull this off.

about DMS:
http://beersmith.com/blog/2012/04/10/dimethyl-sulfides-dms-in-home-brewed-beer/

Some people are sensitive to honey malt it seems. Yeah, it goes longer than crystal does of the same lovibond. I'd say 7% of the grist will give a good honey sweetness. But don't take that as gospel, do a lil research.

Back