Looking for Christmas Beer for Ski Trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuddlyBurrito

Reaction score
Me and my family are going to Angel Fire, New Mexico for Christmas instead of exchanging presents. So i want to make a batch of beer for the occasion, something that says Christmas!

some reviews of any that you have made would be nice too! :mug:

When are you going? Most Christmas beers are based on big beers, which take months to age to maturation. Alternately, a basic spiced amber would probably be the quickest method.

When are you going? Most Christmas beers are based on big beers, which take months to age to maturation. Alternately, a basic spiced amber would probably be the quickest method.

+1 most holiday styles require aging, however, spruce tips scream Christmas to me, I have yet to try them but it sounds like an interesting addition.

hmm. im going the week of Christmas and Amber recommendations? I would really like to experiment with a bock but i cant find an extract recipe

I have a standard bock recipe if you'd like it. I used it inconjunction with a hybrid pumpkin recipe. It's not finished, but I tasted mid fermentation and tastes really good; with pumpking. Great Fermentations of Indiana has an "I'll be Bock" kit. That's what I used. greatfermentations.com

hmm. im going the week of Christmas and Amber recommendations? I would really like to experiment with a bock but i cant find an extract recipe

Basic spiced amber, a little bigger for Christmas.
OG: 1.060ish, FG: 1.015ish, IBU: 33ish, ABV: 6%ish, yeast strain: California ale if you want it pretty clean, British ale if you want more malt character, Belgian ale if you want esters and to not worry about temp control.

4 lbs light malt extract
3 lbs gold/sparkling amber malt extract (late addition)
1/2lb caramel 40L
1/2lb caramel 60L
1/8lb special B
1/8lb melanoidin/biscuit
1 oz Northern Brewer (or Perle, Willamette, Cascades) hops 60 min
1/2 oz Fuggle (or Willamette, Goldings, Cascades) hops 30 min
1 tbsp mulling spice 10min
1 tbsp mulling spice 0min

If you want to make it even bigger, add up to 1 lb, but no more, of some kind of partially refined sugar, like piloncillo, turbinado, demerara, sucanat, or even plain brown sugar. Steep the grains, crushed, in a bag of some sort for about 15 minutes at about 155 degrees. Avoid letting the grains get warmer than 160, lower is fine. The spices are flexible, but whatever you do, add them very late in the boil, and go with smaller amounts than you think you'll need.

Good luck!

I tried this one from Beersmith with a few changes:

7.2 lb Amber LME
1 lb Special B malt
3 oz Cascade (2 @ 45 min., 1 @ 10)
2 cinnamon sticks (broken)
1/4 tsp. crushed cloves
1 lb clover honey
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
zest of 4 med. naval oranges
California Labs WLP351 (Bavarian Weizen)<--LHBS was out of the Witbread, suggested this as a good alternative

Target SG: 1.053
Target FG: 1.015

On week 2 as of this upcoming Thursday-planning to bottle in another week and condition until early December.

Back