Looking for Cheap CO2 Regulators?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizzaman

Reaction score
For anyone who's interested, I just found a bunch of air pressure regulators on ebay selling for $10 each including shipping. Regulators are rated from 0 to 160 psi with built in gauge. Outlets are 1/4" NPT, regulator is adjusted via thumb screw.

There are currently seven listed, there were ten earlier today. No I'm not the one selling them, I just thought I'd share for anyone who's interested. I currently don't own any kegging equipment but this looks like just what could be used as a CO2 regulator for kegging. For $10 it's a freakin steal. To find them go to ebay.com, search for psi regulator, then change "sort by" to price + shipping: lowest first (they start at the fourth one from the top).

Now I am thinking about buying one just to have for when I do switch to kegging...here's a pic of what they look like, this should work for a keg setup no?

Airregulatorfront106psi.jpg

In case it wasn't obvious to everyone but me, these are not rated for co2 usage. They are made for air compressors. Trying to use an air compressor regulator on co2 will result in a hole being ripped straight through your space time continuum. If I had seen one of these in a store somewhere I would've known immediately, as it's about 1/4 the size of its picture. Dainty little thing...

american science surplus has secondary regulators for cheap. i looked but they dont seem to have them anymore. im thinking if you do a search you should be able to find the item # from someone posting it. i know i bought 6 of them

Hi

Well by the time you search for a cheap regulator, locate adapters (if needed) and add in shipping... you may end up with a decent regulator.

Might just be worth checking at your local gas supply or welder supply and asking for a discount on a combo ( regulator & tank ).

You may also learn that your shop (like mine) only swaps steel 20# bottles. My cost was $80 for a bottle that came full. Refills are 15$ for a 20# or 13$ for a 10# or 13$ for a 5#... not to mention you have to wait for your 5# or 10# to be shipped off, filled, and returned. (travel may or may not scuff that new aluminum bottle ( or two ) you need to rotate for filling / using.

I like the 20# ( yeah it's big ) but its cost effective and swaps out same visit. Including the handle it stands 27.5" for reference purposes and my current one is stamped "bevtech inc atlanta, ga" indicating to me it was originally made for soda / beer dispensing if that matters to anyone.

D

While still looking for cheap co2 regulators...I stumbled across this for $25 with shipping, for a single gauge co2 regulator. Search ebay for "Aquarium Single Gauge CO2 Pressure Regulator". There are more than 10 available, output range is 0-2050 lbs so you'd have to be gentle with the thumb screw...this one is actually made for CO2.

Yeh they are made for use with paintball type bottles. I do have the paintball bottle, just waiting approval from swmbo to buy one of these.

Just because you need to regulate CO2 doesn't mean an air regulator won't work.

I sell regulators as a profession, but for industrial applications. You just need to make sure that the pressure range is low enough for accurate pressure setpoints and have materials that are good for CO2. There's nothing particularly corrosive about CO2 if it is clean and from a bottle anyway.

Contact a local process controls company and see what line they carry.

If you wanted something nice, I would recommend one of these for this application:
1301F and 1301G High Pressure Regulators - Fisher Regulators

Back