Looking for Cascade hop recipe suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yabo72

Reaction score
I just finished harvesting about 15 oz. of homegrown Cascade hops. I also have about 2 oz. of Goldings and 1 oz. Williamette. This is my first year growing my own hops and would like to make a nice 10 gallon all grain batch using my own hops. I would like to make a very hoppy ale (IPA etc.) to stress the fresh flavor and aroma of my own hops. I have been looking at some recipes online but they usually seem to include hops other than just what I grew myself. Any suggestions on a mostly or all Cascade IPA?
Much appreciated!

I really like cascades, so I've brewed a bunch of pales/IPA's with only cascades. Here is a tried and true that Yooper helped me come up with a long time ago.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 8.1 SRM5:13 PM 9/12/2010
Estimated IBU: 56.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.89 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
2.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (60 min) (First Wort HopHops 35.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (30 min) Hops 12.2 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (25 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (20 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (10 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.88 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F

Thanks,
I'm gonna post a new thread related to this. It's about how I prepared my homegrown hops. If you guys grow your own how do you save them for later use? I simply dehydrate them at 95 deg. for about 30 hours with a food dehydrator. Seems to work really well. I then simply vacuum seal them and throw them in a freezer. They dont really "freeze" since all the moisture has been removed. They stay pretty fresh and just come out of the backs somewhat flat from the vacuuming. Any thought on this?
Thanks

Thanks,
I'm gonna post a new thread related to this. It's about how I prepared my homegrown hops. If you guys grow your own how do you save them for later use? I simply dehydrate them at 95 deg. for about 30 hours with a food dehydrator. Seems to work really well. I then simply vacuum seal them and throw them in a freezer. They dont really "freeze" since all the moisture has been removed. They stay pretty fresh and just come out of the backs somewhat flat from the vacuuming. Any thought on this?
Thanks

I know that from all of my experiences drying things, you never want to use heat. Although it's only 95*, I believe it can damage your hops. I put my hops in brown paper grocery bags and shake a couple of times a day until they're dry (usually takes about a week.) I then food-save/freeze them. I don't usually use my homegrown hops for bittering since I don't know the IBU's, but I know a lot of people just guesstimate. Did you have 15 oz of hops after drying?

yes, it was about 15 oz. after drying them. My Cascade vine just exploded with hops for a first year plant. The Williamette and Golding performed only as about expected for a first year plant. (2-3oz. after drying) I stll have plenty more Cascades yet to harvest. This is my first time growing them and really enjoy it. I'm looking to expand next season. I have read lots of articles and a couple books about growing them and it seemed like the consensus was that as long as they are dried on the lowest setting 90-95, that they wouldn't be damaged. This is the same setting for drying herbs. I was also told that it is routinely 90 to 95 degrees outside so the hops should be able to handle it. If you differ in opinion please explain. I would hate to have ruined my entire first year crop.

Wow, that's an awesome first year yield. I know here in Houston it's gotten around 100*+, and my hops do just fine. have you decided on a recipe yet?

your recipe looks pretty good. It looks relatively simple and I like the fact that it's all Cascades. I plan on doing a 10 gal. batch so I assume I should just double up on the ingredients? Also, I'm pretty used to Wyeast, can you recommend a comparable yeast.
yea, I was pretty surprised with my yield. I tried to follow as many of the planting recommendations as possible. Good soil, wind blockage, fair amount of compost and mostly morning and early afternoon sun. I also built a first class trellis about 15' high. Should of gone higher! I'll try to put a picture up.

Back