Looking for automated temp control help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SantaClaus

Reaction score
Hey all,

I' have a single tier stand (Brutus 10-esque), and been brewing for about a year on it successfully. Problem is I do not have it automated right now; I do all the temp control manually. The system works just fine like this, but as long as I have the stand I might as well have it automated.

When I was initially constructing the stand I researched solenoids (asco valves) etc... but was scared away by some threads on here warning about asco being dangerous to use w/ LP (gasket failure...). Instead I purchased a few Honeywell furnace valves, which some folks recommended. I currently have Honeywell VR8200A 2124 (Dual valve standing pilot combination gas control valves). Problem is I do not understand how to install them and am a little freaked out about winging it. The whole propane + electricity + potentially liquid+ my inexperience = has me a little intimidated.

Does anyone on here have these valves? And if you do could you help walk me through installation?

Should I sell these valves and pick up a few asco's? I've seen a lot of pictures of stands w/ asco valves and would imagine they work just fine. Are asco's easier to plumb?

Even better is there anyone in the Chicago area w/ a temp controlled setup that wouldn't mind making a few bucks, high-end craft beer, delicious food/etc... and could physically help me set this thing up?

I've seen some schematic diagrams showing the wiring, but I'm not an electrician and those drawing don't do a lot for me. I'd like to get this thing all geared out, I just don't know how to go about doing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan

I'd stick with the honeywells. They're very easy as far as wiring and plumbing. Look at valves...it will show you what direction the gas needs to flow. At that point, it's as easy as hooking up a 1/2" gas pipe to each side.

Here's a link to my rig... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/another-herms-rig-301238/

Further down the page, you'll see a picture of the valve and how to plumb it. The smaller 1/4" copper goes to the pilot, the bigger 1/2" copper goes directly to the burner. At that point, it's just figuring out what fittings you'll need. I can get some really good detail pictures of all my parts tonight.

As for electrical, there's only two wires running to the valves, and those are very easy. The real tricky part is wiring the Auber PID's I use. I can get pictures of that too, but my wiring is a bit of a mess, so you may want to look elsewhere for help with your electrical. It's not as hard as you may think though...

By the way...the reason that Honeywells are safer than ascos is that the honeywells automatically sense when you have a pilot burning. They won't be able to light without it. This means that if your pilot goes out in the wind, your system won't light while propane is continuing to pump out and cause an explosion. Asco's don't have this feature that I know of. Asco's will continue to let propane flow and when you finally realize your pilot is out and try to light it....BOOM! This is just what I've read though...I've never used asco's, so I don't know for sure.

You'll get more responses to this if you post in the DIY Forum. They have their own little engineering club over there.

I'd stick with the honeywells. They're very easy as far as wiring and plumbing. Look at valves...it will show you what direction the gas needs to flow. At that point, it's as easy as hooking up a 1/2" gas pipe to each side.

Here's a link to my rig... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/another-herms-rig-301238/

Further down the page, you'll see a picture of the valve and how to plumb it. The smaller 1/4" copper goes to the pilot, the bigger 1/2" copper goes directly to the burner. At that point, it's just figuring out what fittings you'll need. I can get some really good detail pictures of all my parts tonight.

As for electrical, there's only two wires running to the valves, and those are very easy. The real tricky part is wiring the Auber PID's I use. I can get pictures of that too, but my wiring is a bit of a mess, so you may want to look elsewhere for help with your electrical. It's not as hard as you may think though...

Thank you very much for the response, link and pictures. Actually seeing one of these installed on a stand makes it seem a lot less intimidating than just looking at the valve itself. A few times now I've opened up the box, looked at the instructions, and parts and quickly put it box in the box, confused.

It doesn't look too tough to set up looking at the pictures.

Are these the temp controllers you were using?

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

That's the next step, putting together the control box and temp controllers.....

The shut-off function of the Honeywells is what sold me on these when I bought them a year ago. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks again

PS: Sweet rig!!

Thank you very much for the response, link and pictures. Actually seeing one of these installed on a stand makes it seem a lot less intimidating than just looking at the valve itself. A few times now I've opened up the box, looked at the instructions, and parts and quickly put it box in the box, confused.

It doesn't look too tough to set up looking at the pictures.

Are these the temp controllers you were using?

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

That's the next step, putting together the control box and temp controllers.....

The shut-off function of the Honeywells is what sold me on these when I bought them a year ago. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks again

PS: Sweet rig!!

I actually have the 2362 controller, not the 2342.

Here's a few more closeups of the gas plumbing...

photo_16.jpg

photo_17.jpg

photo_19.jpg

I won't post the wiring, because it's a mess and hard to figure out what's going where...but if you need any help, let me know. If you're using the same parts I did, then it shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind you'll need a step down 110-24V transformer to power your valves.

I won't post the wiring, because it's a mess and hard to figure out what's going where...but if you need any help, let me know. If you're using the same parts I did, then it shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind you'll need a step down 110-24V transformer to power your valves.

Thanks -- Looking at the solenoid I think I understand how to plumb it, but it's the wiring that seems really daunting to me right now. I haven't ordered the temp controllers yet. What do you use? I know Love controllers are talked about frequently....

Back