Looking for Advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewBrew08

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

My name is Drew and I just joined the site, well a few minutes ago. I have been interested in brewing my own beer and would finally like to start. I've studied (called myself studying at least) for the past couple of weeks, and have come across this great / amazing site. I finally did the first step any man has to do before they begin homebrewing, and that is asking the wife for permission :) I have been looking at getting started (kits and supplies) and not sure how I should start. I was looking as see that I can get a Cooper's DIY Kit for about $100 online. If i were to get this, I could see myself using it 2 - 3 times. To me this isn't brewing, its preparing..... I would like to have something a little more advanced, but I am a little worried about the fermenting process. I'd rather ruin 2 -3 batches of this stuff trying to make sure I have the process right instead of getting a little more expensive kits and messing them up. Another option I have been looking at is a kit on midwest - http://www.midwestsupplies.com/home...g-complete-brewing-package-equipment-kit.html

Problem with the second option is I will need to buy a propane burner. I do not have one right now. Would any of you think it might be best to just go with option one and maybe.... I don't know, make 10 batches before stepping up. I wouldn't might cooking inside, but this is a concern my wife has and doesn't want the house to smell.

Any thoughts? Or maybe, what was a road you guys took to help kick this hobby off? Thank you for your help in advance. Also, thanks for all the helpful information on the site. This is a great place for a beginner like me!

Drew

If you can swing the Midwest kit, I would go for that. You'll be doing extract brews to start and you shouldn't need a propane burner. Most electric stoves should be able to boil 2.5-3 gallons of wort (send her out shopping while you do the boil. It doesn't smell that bad). After your boil you, will top off the fermenter to 5 gallons. It's only a 4 gallon pot, so your not going to be boiling the whole 5 gallons. The neat thing about a starter kit like this, is you'll still use the equipment as you grow. I've been all grain for a going on 4years now, and I still use 95% of the stuff that came with my first kit. Welcome!!!:mug:

Welcome Drew!

I agree with Hammy, that's not a bad kit for the price. I actually bought a smaller kit from Monsterbrew.com and then I got a turkey fryer from home depot for the boil.
Of course I keep adding cool new stuff as I learn.

Use that Kit and make a few batches, and soon you will be obsessed like the rest of us!

Yea the smell really isn't bad at all. When boiling, the house would actually smell like someone is baking bread. Very grainy and bready smell. When you ferment, it'll be in a bucket with an airlock, so bready CO2 is really the only smell, and it's really minimal.

I think it's best to start off with a basic kit, and build as you decide what direction you want to go. For instance, I so primarily extract brews, and found a small bubba keg I use to make small mashes, so I can do partial mash brews until I create some recipe's id want to elaborate as all-grains. You definitely have the right idea by starting off making 10-15 batches to get the process down. I'd suggest starting by not using kits, but asking someone at your local homebrew store to help you create a recipe for your favorite type of beer. (My first was a Honey Amber Ale). This way you feel a little more like you made an original beer. There's also an amazing recipe book called "the Homebrewers Recipe Guide" by higgins, kilgore, and hertlein. Has a lot of old standards, and some copycat recipes too (i'm making a copycat Newcastle next). Good way to understand the process quickly, and add some creativity to it. Also has a lot of funny and classic beer quotes.

Main thing, KEEP SANITARY AND CLEAN. You can use the best ingredients all day, but mess it up with contamination. Don't leave any soap residue either, as it will amplify when fermented and your beer will taste soapy. Anything left in the fermentation process will be amplified as far as flavor goes. Fermentation kind of melts flavors together.

Just some things I've picked up on since i started, i've done my 11th batch and each one is super unique. They're all exciting when they're done and you get to taste the fruits of your labor.

This looks like its the brewers best kit with a couple of additional things that you need for your first batch. I bought just the kit by itself (fermenters, hoses, brushes, etc.) for $100 and for my first batch got one of the package kits like the one here (about $35). I already had a big enough pot so I did not need that for my first batch and I like beer :mug: so I had 2 weeks to save up 50 bottles. Since then I have upgraded to an 8 gal aluminium pot which takes about an hour to get boiling (and 2 burners on my electric stove).

This is EVERYTHING that you will need for your first batch. If you already have a large stock pot, extract brewing wont hurt it, and if you can get some friends and a few cases together bottles are pretty easy :tank: . As far as the smell goes, I kinda like it, and it doesn't hang around too long after you are done.

let us know haw it goes,
Good luck and happy brewing

Hey guys,

Thank you for responding and helping me out with the questions that I had. Hammy71, I told my wife what you said about shopping and she said that if she can go shopping, she wouldn't mind a little bit of smell. lol I believe I'm going to go with the midwest kit. I think it is a pretty good deal, and will help down the road. Hope to get all of this at the beginning of next month and start brewing away. Can't wait to let you guys know how things turn out! I'm going to be depending on this site a lot since i have yet found a home brewing shop anywhere around me. (People in Mississippi want to brew too!!!)

Thanks again for your help! Any extra advice is always welcome!

Cheers! :mug:

Drew

Hammy71, DaveM77, HuxleysBrew, wrclar2,

Thank you for your input. I noticed I should of put this in the Beginners forum, but its ok. It is officially official! I just ordered my stuff from Midwest and cant wait to get it so I can start. Only down side is to buying this was they only gave you 3 options for your included beer kit. I guess it will be ok since I like beer. I decided to go with the Irish Red. Hopefully when i get it and start ill post you guys some pictures. Thanks again for the responses!

Drew

Carefull!!!!! The item from midwest uses dimensional shipping so it will probably be higher than you expect. Get a quote and compare the bottom lines before you buy. Freight is a killer if your not paying attention. It will snaek up and bite a big hole in yer wallet. Midwest makes ans sells good stuff and they dont profit on freight, just be carefull so you dont burn yourself and piss off wifey.....
Bob

Just finished my first bath!!! No boil overs! SG called for it to be 1.042 - 1.046. I hit exactly 1.044! No problems what so ever. Now the wait begins! thank you guys again!

Drew

Back