Looking for Advice on a burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djflesch

Reaction score
I'm in the process of gathering all of my all-grain equipment and I am looking for a burner for my 25G/100qt brew pot. The diameter of this pot is 21" and weighs about 40 lbs.

First, can anyone tell me what the benefits/drawbacks between a high pressure and low pressure burner are? Are the low pressure burners more efficient? Why would you get one over the other?

Second, can anyone make a recommendation for a specific burner that would:
1. Support the weight of my pot filled with wort (up to 200 lbs!)
2. Raise the pot sufficiently off the ground so that a couple of cinder blocks would raise it to the height for wort transfer to my fermenter (standard 6.5G bucket at the moment--about 20-25" high).
3. Have enough BTUs to bring this baby to a boil in about 30 min. How many BTUs do you think I would need?

Also, does anyone know where I can look to get cinder blocks so that I don't have to raid a construction site?

Thanks for your help!

djflesch said:
Also, does anyone know where I can look to get cinder blocks so that I don't have to raid a construction site?

Thanks for your help!

Any home improvement store.

Home Depot
Lowes
Walmart (maybe)

As for the burner questions......I haven't a clue

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
that's what you want (although I was able to get it a little cheaper so you might want to shop around)... its designed to boil 30 gallons of water. But even so, it might not be a bad idea to build a better all steel stand out of angle or tube steel and just make that to whatever height you want it.

As far as high pressure or low pressure... plain and simple you want high pressure, you'll be able to burn more propane and therefore boil quicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would seriously think about building a dedicated stand for something that big. The banjo burner would provide enough heat. I'm sceptical about the one 67coupe390 posted and I certainly wouldn't trust that stand w/ 200 lbs of boiling wort. Talk to a welder. I bet they could put together something pretty quickly for you that you would be more than happy with.

Q: That's a big kettle. Is the rest of your brewery designed for those volumes? If so, how are you moving everything around?

Go Banjo. It's rated at up to 120 qts. and it's powerful enough to get the job done.

I love my banjo!

Last edited by a moderator:
You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a Banjo, especially in Canada. Everyone seems to be sold out or they won't ship to Canada, or their Canadian affiliate doesn't stock them. I simply couldn't find one to buy. I'll try again at the end of June when most American suppliers I found say that they will have stock. This is &#$%^ aggravating!

Good luck, djflesch.

By the way, check out my gallery. I have pots that large too. The Banjo is truly the way to go as far as I'm concerned, but I will be building my own stand for it. I've tapped the pots to put ball valves on them and initially I will use a gravity system but I will likely get a pump in the near future and just use a two tier system.

Let me know how you make out with the burner.

If you're looking at the Bayou Classic Banjo KAB4 you might want to wait a couple weeks as the're introducing the new KAB5 for the same price next week I think and discontinuing the KAB4.

I figured that something like that was in the works considering I couldn't get one at all. It was just too much of a coincidence that everyone was sold out all at once. I'm hoping to find an ebay bargain if that's the case. The only thing between me and AG is the damn burner!

I'm looking to do 15 gallon and maybe 20 gallon batches. Think it will work for that?

Does it come with a regulator? How much to ship to Manitoba? It may get cost prohibitive if I have to pay shipping on the burner and then again on the regulator. I assume it's a high pressure (30psi) burner.

Just to let you know, it took my Banjo 20 minutes to bring 13 gallons of wort to a boil and that wasn't even cranked up. I don't like the flames going around the keggle and messing with my ball valve.

The Banjo Rocks!:rockin:

$100!
eek2.gif

Wasn't amazon.com selling those for $65 shipped?

EdWort said:
Just to let you know, it took my Banjo 20 minutes to bring 13 gallons of wort to a boil and that wasn't even cranked up. I don't like the flames going around the keggle and messing with my ball valve.

The Banjo Rocks!:rockin:

That was with the 30 psi regulator? 20 minutes for 13 gallons seems quite reasonable.

Back