Looking for a Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMartin

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a new wort chiller and I need some advice. I've narrowed it down to a copper immersion 25' x 3/8", but I've got one option that I don't know anything about. Some chillers have vinyl hoses with steel clamps, and others have soldered pipe connections. The soldered chillers are more expensive, plus I would have to buy hoses.

The people that sell the soldered chillers say that it it better because you won't leak unsanitized water into the wort, but that seems like marketing to me, since I used tap water to top off my extract brews with no issues. I'm looking for someone to either confirm that I don't need the soldered chiller, or convince me that it is worth it.

Thanks for your time.

I wouldn't bother with the more expensive one. Mine has clamps, and they dont leak. Plus, they hang over the kettle, and wouldn't leak into it anyhow. Prob just a marketing ploy.

I have two chillers a 50' 3/8" , and a 25' 3/8" that I use as a prechiller (Spigot water in Florida during most of the year) both are the type that use the steel clamps..not once have I had water leak into the wort..the trick is....use as many clamps as you deems needed, but add one more for luck.

Back