Looking for a tasty dark, low gravity session brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rbeckett

Reaction score
Like the title says, I am looking for a recomendation for a very tasty lower alcohol recomendation. I can do five gallon AG batches as well as extract and partials so I am unlimited by my equipment. I lived in Germany for several years and made several trips to Belgium and Amsterdam and would like to find a clone or close cousin to some of the darks I stumbled on in the Black Forest region of FRG. Any recomendations for a recipe that follows the taste profile of a lighter alcohol dark brew. I assume it will probably have to be a Lager and will require a good bit of ageing, but I have plenty of room and time so that is a non issue. Really I am interested in creating a true to style session or daily drinker kind of brew. If you have or know of a recipe that focuses on the heady, smoother drinking dark, please post or forward your best recomendation. Thanks in advance for the help and support.
Wheelchair Bob

What you're describing sounds like a schwarzbier.

I plan on making one in the next few weeks. Pretty much every recipe I've read has a blend of Pilsner and Munich as the base malt and then about 6-10% roast malt. Hopping should be moderate. And forget about lengthy aging. I believe Yooper says one week of lagering/8 gravity points, so a 1.045 OG schwarzbier would only need to lager for 5 1/2 weeks. Not long by any means.

If you want to do an English ale, I'd suggest a mild. They are fantastic session beers, and one of my favorite styles. Totally different than a schwartzbier, of course, but something just as drinkable.

Dunkleweiss, or a stout could both fit your bill as well. The stout will likely take a while to taste good, as the flavorful dark malts wont have much malt backbone to mellow them. So time will be needed to smooth the acridness.

250 BYO clone magazine. Dbl Stout by Hook Norton Brewery. 4.8%. I went from grain to glass in less then 3 weeks. Kegged it and its amazing. Tons of flavor considering the abv is less than 5%.

Back