Looking for a pear cider recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewski09

Reaction score
I don't know where to start as I'm only beginning with apple ciders, but have plenty of beer brewing experience and some Mead experience. I want to make something similar to the woodchuck pear cider. I know it is very sweet on the finish, but it reminds me of the pear cider at the local brewpub back home, so I like to have a couple every once in a while. Any thoughts on a starter recipe and suggestions on where to buy pear juice from? Is it worth it to get a bunch of pears and freeze juice them (it seems stream juicing will make the juice turn brown and that isn't all that appealing). What if any additives should be used with the pears? Tannins? Malic acid? Different acids? I'm thinking I'll have to stove top pasteurize, so I was going to use the k1-1116 because it's a champ on the fruit flavors. I'm good with the nutrient additions. If anyone has some experience with this, I'd be really interested in your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

My local big box grocery store sells pear juice no additives for less than 5 dollars a quart. Wish I could be more help but first attempt at perry was real weak.

Latest posts

Back