Looking for a good Pilsner recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mitte Flusse German Pils
All Grain Recipe
Submitted By: Spartan

Batch Size: 5.50 gal Style: German Pilsner (Pils) ( 2A)
Boil Size: 8.25 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 4.1 SRM Equipment: My Equipment
Bitterness: 39.0 IBUs Boil Time: 90 min
Est OG: 1.048 (11.8° P) Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Est FG: 1.009 SG (2.2° P) Fermentation: Lager, Two Stage
ABV: 5.1% Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients Amount Name Type #
3.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60 min) Misc 1
3.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60 min) Misc 2
9 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4
4.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5
2.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 6
0.5 oz Magnum [12.2%] - Boil 60 min Hops 7
0.5 oz Hallertau Tradition [7.0%] - Boil 30 min Hops 8
0.4 oz Select Spalt [2.8%] - Boil 30 min Hops 9
1.10 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min) Misc 10
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15 min) Misc 11
0.3 oz Hallertau Tradition [7.0%] - Boil 5 min Hops 12
0.3 oz Select Spalt [2.8%] - Boil 5 min Hops 13
1 pkgs Munich Lager (Wyeast Labs #2308) Yeast 14

Notes
11 gallons of brewing water prepared (RO Water). added 1 L to bring volume up to 5.65 and OG to 1.048. Measured 1.051

This was the first version of this recipe. For the next one, I'm going to cut the melanoidin malt in half. Also, touch more hops.

20150405_164915_zps7sv7knpm.jpg

Mitte Flusse German Pils
All Grain Recipe

Notes
11 gallons of brewing water prepared (RO Water). added 1 L to bring volume up to 5.65 and OG to 1.048. Measured 1.051

This was the first version of this recipe. For the next one, I'm going to cut the melanoidin malt in half.

I was wanting to do a decoction mash. what are your thoughts?

I was wanting to do a decoction mash. what are your thoughts?

If you do, drop out the melanoidin malt entirely and replace it with more Pils malt. Be sure to use German Pils Malt.

I still haven't decided if a decoction mash is worthwhile. The two beers I did recently with a decoction were both good though. I'll probably do one on my next batch if I can decide what I want to brew. A mash in at 142 with a decoction raising it to 154-156 seems to work well.

Mitte Flusse German Pils
All Grain Recipe

Notes

This was the first version of this recipe. For the next one, I'm going to cut the melanoidin malt in half. Also, touch more hops.

Damn, like 3% melanoidin was too much? Can you describe the flavor and what you disliked about it?

Great! What temp did you pitch? Also, I see you didnt make a starter. I have wyeast 2308.

Damn, like 3% melanoidin was too much? Can you describe the flavor and what you disliked about it?

I've used 4 oz in a number of beers and it was always fine. But this beer is so light and delicate it was too much. It made it too malty and not crisp enough.

I've been trying to decide what do brew for my next batch and after participating in this thread I've decided to brew this again. Off to the LHBS to get my yeast and some more Cara-Pils. :mug:

I've used 4 oz in a number of beers and it was always fine. But this beer is so light and delicate it was too much. It made it too malty and not crisp enough.

I've been trying to decide what do brew for my next batch and after participating in this thread I've decided to brew this again. Off to the LHBS to get my yeast and some more Cara-Pils. :mug:

I'm heading there now! All of this talk has me wanting to do a couple batches this weekend!

I pitched at 45 and let it rise to 50. After 5 days or so it was raised to 60.

I always make a starter, I just don't use Beersmith to figure it.

With this being my first lager, do I need a fairly large starter?

Give the 2007 a try. I describe it as a drier finish, but crisp is an accurate description as well. Technically this was German yeast at one point?

German. Do you have a good one?

Yes I do. And it's much simpler than the ones I've seen posted. 10 lb. pils malt (I prefer Best) and 1 lb. dark (10L) Munich. Best again for me. You can also leave out the Munich and go with all pils. 1 oz. Hallertauer or Tettnang FWH, .75 oz. Magnum at 60, and 1 oz. Hallertauer or Tettnag at 0. WY2124. Mash at 148 for 90 min. I've done many tests of decoction, some with many tasters, and have concluded that decoction just doesn't make a difference. Ferment at 50ish F until done, taste the beer, do a d rest if you taste diacetyl, then crash to 33F for a couple weeks.

BTW, starter health is much more important than stater size.

This is my general strategy:

98% Weyermann Bohemian Floor malt Pils (you could add 5% munich, but I prefer without)
~2% Acid malt (+ CaCl2, or whatever it takes to get to a 5.3 mash ph and ~25 Calcium with your water.)

I do a thick double decoction mash 105-131-148, with a infusion to 160 and to mash out. A simpler infusion mash is likely to work just as well. Just mash so its fairly dry.

40 IBU (enough of a low cohumolone bittering hop like warrior, perle, or noble, to get to 40 ibu after the finishing hops are accounted for @ 60)

1-1.5 oz of a liberty/santiam mix (or h. mittlefrau and tettnang) @20ish
1-1.5 oz of a liberty/santiam mix (or h. mittlefrau and tettnang) @5ish

Ferment with a medium to high attenuative lager strain. The augustiner, modelo(a very forgiving strain if its your first lager), 34/70 or whatever strain whose flavor you prefer. Ferment at the lowest possible temp for the strain until 3/4ths complete then raise for a d rest at 60-62 for a few days to a week. Cold crash and keg, cold condition for 4-6 weeks near freezing.

From the light lagers I've done (two Helles), it seems that the water, ingredient quality and yeast management plays a much bigger role than the recipe.

A lot of those beers recipe are very simple (ie. 100% base malt and two hops additions). In ales, you can "cover up" a so-so recipe with hops or malt character. With a pils (German or Czech), the beer is naked and every corner that is cut shows in the final product.

Make sure to build up your water from scratch, use premium ingrédients (I really love Weyermann's floor malted pils), pitch a big number of healthy yeast and control the fermentation temperature adequately.

Yes I do. And it's much simpler than the ones I've seen posted. 10 lb. pils malt (I prefer Best) and 1 lb. dark (10L) Munich. Best again for me. You can also leave out the Munich and go with all pils. 1 oz. Hallertauer or Tettnang FWH, .75 oz. Magnum at 60, and 1 oz. Hallertauer or Tettnag at 0. WY2124. Mash at 148 for 90 min. I've done many tests of decoction, some with many tasters, and have concluded that decoction just doesn't make a difference. Ferment at 50ish F until done, taste the beer, do a d rest if you taste diacetyl, then crash to 33F for a couple weeks.

Thanks for the recipe! I thought about doing a decoction but everything I hear says it is not worth it. I guess I wanted to just so I could say I did.

If you have the time and energy, I agree. But in order to really evaluate what it does, you need to make exactly the same beer undecocted then do a blind tasting.

This is actually what I have decided to do. Thanks!:mug:

My Pils recipes are similar to the others, I usually add about 10% Munich in there but I think my next one I'm going to replace that with 1-2% Caramunich and see how that goes. I'm also on the fence as far as decoction goes, there is a flavor difference for me but its very subtle.

Mitte Flusse German Pils
All Grain Recipe

Batch Size: 5.50 galStyle: German Pilsner (Pils) ( 2A)
Boil Size: 8.25 galStyle Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 4.1 SRMEquipment: My Equipment
Bitterness: 39.0 IBUsBoil Time: 90 min
Est OG: 1.048 (11.8° P)Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Est FG: 1.009 SG (2.2° P)Fermentation: Lager, Two Stage
ABV: 5.1%Taste Rating: 30.0

Notes

I brewed this yesterday and pretty much hit all of the numbers. Mashed at 148 for 75 minutes, sparged at 168 and a 90 minute boil ending with OG of 1.052. I then cooled to 70 and put it in my temp regulated freezer set at 50. I pitched a 2 liter starter when both were at 50 degrees around 8:30 last night. I checked on it this morning and a few minutes ago and it was barely bubbling. I have brewed countless ales but this is my first lager. Does this sound about right on the fermentation?

I've done about 10 lagers with good temp control and yours sounds ok. I've never had big starts. They just seem to chug along. Others mileage may vary.

Mine is similar- Weyermann pilsner malt (or Castle) and a pound of carapils. I don't use Munich in mine. The hopping is very similar, and that yeast strain is great. I've used WY2007 with great results as well, at the same temperatures (ish).

I've done it with and without a decoction, and while I'd like to say it made a big difference, I didn't really notice one except for maybe a bit more clarity and perhaps a better foam retention on the decocted version. Flavor was not different. I would suggest doing a rest schedule of something like 133/149/156 if you're looking for suggestions, and making the 133 rest short. A higher temperature protein rest is better for fully modified malts in my opinion, as a more typical rest in the low 122s seems to degrade head retention.

Mine is similar- Weyermann pilsner malt (or Castle) and a pound of carapils. I don't use Munich in mine. The hopping is very similar, and that yeast strain is great. I've used WY2007 with great results as well, at the same temperatures (ish).

I've done it with and without a decoction, and while I'd like to say it made a big difference, I didn't really notice one except for maybe a bit more clarity and perhaps a better foam retention on the decocted version. Flavor was not different. I would suggest doing a rest schedule of something like 133/149/156 if you're looking for suggestions, and making the 133 rest short. A higher temperature protein rest is better for fully modified malts in my opinion, as a more typical rest in the low 122s seems to degrade head retention.

I go back and forth on the Munich, depending on my mood. The one fermenting right now has 2.5 lb. of rye malt and 9 lb. of pils. Always a single infusion at 148 for 90 min.

Back