Looking for a bit more hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eighteez

Reaction score
My first batch is done.

It turned out great. I am very happy with it.

If I could change anything I would want a bit more hops in the final flavor.

At what stage do I do that? Add more to the boil? Add hops and use a secondary fermentation? (so far I have only done 4 week primary ferms)

Can anyone point me to some tips on tweaking recipes?

Here is the link to the recipe I made:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/850/

You would need to add more Hops initially during your boil to affect the flavor (more bitterness). If you add more when dry hopping, that will affect the aroma.

You may consider FWH (first wort hops) also. Seems to give flavor as well as smooth bittering.

awesome info. Thanks!!!!

Would you say doubling the amount of flavor hops at the end of the boil is a good place to start? Then back off if needed?

I'm not really sure how much flavor so much hops gives. Its gotta be one of those "experiment and see what happens" things.

Maybe I'll look at some recipes for IPAs and shoot for a number that is in between what I did last time and what an IPA calls for.

The recipe you attached doesn't really have any flavor hops, only bittering and aroma. Flavor hops come in around 10-20min. You could just add 1oz of Fuggle or Cascade at 15 min, and then you'd have bittering, aroma, AND flavor hops.

I'm still experimenting with FWH, but you might cut back 1/4-1/2oz of your bittering hops, and just add 1oz of FWH for some added bitterness and flavor.

You have the right idea of looking at other recipes for ideas to formulate your own. Red's aren't supposed to be REALLY hoppy, as far as I know, so you may look at just doing an IPA or APA for your next batch to get your hop fix ;)

I like to look up clones of my favorite commercial brews to get an idea of what ingredients are used. I personally love Two-Hearted, and just bottled a Two-Hearted inspired brew-All-Centennial hopped. From what I've tasted so far...its absolutely delicious!

Another winner I'll share with you...All-Amarillo hopped IPA-then dry-hopping with Amarillo AND Simcoe! Huge hit with everyone who has tried it! Even with BMC drinkers!

Its good to make single-hopped beers, just so you can really get a taste for the different hops, which will help you to formulate more complex recipes, with complimenting hops.

no, reds aren't traditionally hoppy. I like Red Seal. It's a red pale ale. I don't want it that hoppy. Not full on IPA style anyway. Just a touch more.

I think next time I'll do that third hop stage. The flavor hops. As you said, this one didnt have that. I found a magazine full of clone recipes, I'll see what Red Seal has for flavoring hops and try a portion of that. Maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of what they use.

THANKS!

Latest posts

Back