Looking for a Belgian Tripel recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCarnie

Reaction score
I have the following on hand:
2-row (domestic)
munich malt
black patent malt
chocolate malt
crystal 60
flaked wheat
1# dark candied sugar
hops:
chinook
amarillo(whole leaf & pellets)
cascade
simcoe
us goldings
mt. hood
columbus
warrior

Pils is the standard base malt, but you could get away with domestic pale. 80% pale, 20% table sugar (by extract). 90 minute boil with 35 IBUs of Mt Hood or Goldings at 60 minutes. Ferment with 3787 (nice big starter) starting in the mid 60s and letting it ramp up into the 70s. That’s pretty much what I’m doing for my next beer, although I’m going to age it on calvados soaked oak cubes and sour it…

You could also up the IBUs and give it a dose of finishing hops if that is your thing, but it won’t make something “to style.”

You don't have the correct ingredients for a tripel or any belgian ale for that matter, your hops are not appropriate either, although I think Mt Hood may be OK.

Tripel five gallons =

12-15 # belgian Pils
1-3 # sugar
WLP500
25 IBU or so of something fairly neutral...I have used willamete, golding and magnum. 90 minute boil.

yeast can vary, but WLP500 rocks.

with Tripels, it all comes down to the yeast. You should not have a strong hop flavor.

The only grain I would use there from your list is 2-row. Then add 1-2lbs of white table sugar. Use 3787 or 1388 yeast.

If you want to use the grains you have there, I would suggest making a Belgian Dark Strong or a Belgian Black Ale. In both of those you would use Munich, Chocolate, and dark candi.

thanks guys, probably gonna go with the belgian dark ale. Anything special i should keep in mind?

Back