Looking for a belgian ipa recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TLDNR; I wouldn't over think it, make an IPA and simply pitch a Belgian yeast.

Since this style isn't experimental, and a Belgian is mostly defined by the yeast, i'd brew up any IPA recipe and pitch a Belgian yeast and you should be good to go. I just brewed a 10g RyePA (IPA) and pitched US05 in one 5g, and accidentally pitched some Belgian wit yeast in the other 5g. The one thing I'd note is that the character of the Belgian yeast can really cover the subtle hop flavors. I even dry hopped this bad boy with some brand new equinox hops and still don't notice much interms of hop character, but get lots of Belgian character. The batch with US05 is so good and the hop flavor is so clear.

Good luck.

I find that using a a saison yeast with New Zealand hops really makes a nice "belgian IPA."

No matter what IPA I make, I use Marris Otter. I like my IPAs dry so fpr belgian IPA, a saison yeast really works wonders.

If you want to try something unique and can get your hands on this all the way in Michigan, try this strain:

http://www.omegayeast.com/?portfolio=saisonsteins-monster

TLDNR; I wouldn't over think it, make an IPA and simply pitch a Belgian yeast.

You can also use hops that are used in belgian style IPA's :
Boil time : 60 minuten
Hop Vorm alfa% gram Toev.na..' IBU
Magnum (Hallertau M.) (B) BLM 14.0% 20 0' 25.2
Challenger (U) BLM 6.5% 20 40' 6.1
Challenger (U) BLM 6.5% 20 50' 3.3
Cascade (A) BLM 7.7% 30 50' 5.8
Cascade (A) BLM 7.7% 30 55' 3.0
Cascade (A) BLM 7.7% 20 60' 0.0

This is for a 6.4 gallon recipe;
Maybe you can also dryhop with cascade.

Back