longterm bulk conditioning vessel idea...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwoodfield3

Reaction score
It seems people are saying that it would be better to (bulk) condition in a glass carboy or ss tank rather than a standard plastic fermenting bin... the main objection is because of the suposed oxygen permeability of the plastic. my question is if you were to laminate a plastic bin by simply gluing it on (on the outside that is!) a material such as this...

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-804-167-Silver-Fanci-Foil-Wrap/dp/B0000VMBB0/ref=pd_sbs_op_19

...Which is essentially just thicker than normal aluminium foil backed with foodgrade wax paper, then would this then be a good, cheap alternative to a glass or SS conditioner since even if the plastic is permeable to oxygen, the aluminium foil layer is definitely not! To seal edges around top and bottom and base of fermenter, you could use aluminium tape like... http://www.amazon.com/SHURTAPE-AF-973-2M-48mm-ALUMINUM-FOIL/dp/B00448DQGY/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1333429720&sr=1-1-spell

Lets hear your thoughts on this idea- maybe the oxygen permeability factor of plastic fermenters is negligible? (im talking conditioning for months/year not just a couple weeks...)

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
A glass carboy with a silicone one piece airlock or stopper is cheaper (in the long run)
easier and known factor. So is a keg.

ideally not looking to use glass again... one day the bottom of my carboy just fell out... could have been dangerous... do you mean corny kegs or the sankey? seems a shame to tie one up for a year with no beer flowing!

I bulk age in cornies. I've got 17, so I haven't gotten to the point of running out yet.

As far as I know, Better Bottles can be used for long term conditioning. I've only just started using them, but I've read they're impermeable to oxygen.

Back