Longest High Krausen Ever?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrostp

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm brewing an IPA right now with California Ale yeast that has been fermenting in a carboy at 68F with about 2 inches of high krausen for 7 days now. And it still has a consistent airlock bubble every 3-5 seconds! The OG of this beer was only 1.060.

Has anyone ever had high krausen last this long? The long fermentation is throwing off my brewing schedule.. rabble rabble rabble!

I've got a Williams Brewing IPA that's been bubbling away for 9 days. The krausen has just begun to drop. The OG on this one is 1.054. I've had the wort at a steady 63F. I believe the lower temps drag out the fermentation but give you cleaner results with less off flavors. I'm happy to see it keep bubbling as long as it wants.

Just goes to remind you that the yeast are in charge, not you, and they have their own timeframe...And they will tell you when they are done with the job.

All's well.

Just goes to remind you that the yeast are in charge, not you, and they have their own timeframe...And they will tell you when they are done with the job.

All's well.

Haha, fair enough. Thanks!

J-

I have the same issue right now...brewed 9/28....active fermentation didn't start until a full 60 hours later....I prob should have had a starter with such a HG beer. So now I am at 5+ days straight of some of the most active ferm I have had.....but like I said, with all the fermentable sugars in here I could see if going strong for 2-4 more days before subsiding....and, like you, I have another batch waitng!

GL

J-

How is yours doing? Mine seemed to have slowed down a bit this morning, I would like to transfer so I can brew my dubbel.

Pretty cool stuff this batch I just made. It's an extract SMaSH that not only has a krausen for the past 5 days, but has gone from bubbling furiously in the airlock, to not at all, to furiously, back and forth. I'm enjoying it immensely.

The krausen finally fell yesterday, so it ended up being a 9 day long high krausen. Pretty crazy!

I am having a similar experience... Pitched a huge starter in Dean Larson's SN Celebration clone recipe with Wyeast American Ale. Saw the airlock start bubbling after about 2 hours. 8 days later it is still bubbling once every few seconds. I fermented at 63F for the first 4 days, then raised it one degree per day until I am now at 68F where I will leave it until the yeast decides it is done.

Back