Longer than wanted fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smartpart04

Reaction score
I let my cream ale ferment about a month longer than it should have. I plan on bottling this Saturday. Should I expect any off flavors?

Technically, you didn't 'let' it ferment. The yeast were probably done fermenting long before you thought it did. Once the yeast finishes fermenting, it cleans up after itself then goes dormant. You just gave it some good ageing time. $10 says your beer will taste great. Any off flavours would be contributed if you had a bad process or bad sanitization practices.

Bottle a case of it and ship it to me and I'll sample it and give you a report on the drinkability of it.:D

The beers I have let set in the fermenter longer seem to mature faster in the bottle. One that I would not have expected to be good for a couple months was really good after a week of bottling but it had spent 4 1/2 weeks in the fermenter before it saw a bottle.

Back