Longer fermentation or time in bottles for aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snipper_cr

Reaction score
So I brewed a smokey scotch ale back in may. I let it sit in the primary fermenter for 2 months and then moved it to a secondary (mainly because I needed the primary and I hate primary fermenting in carboys) for another month. I just bottled it recently. What are your ideas as far as properly "Aging" this sucker. If you were doing it, would you have done less time in the fermenters and more time in the bottles, more time in the fermenter in general? Does it matter where it conditions/ages just as long as it has its time?

Something I just wanted to get some ideas for as we head into the winter months and I brew more large/heavy beers that I want to age appropriately.

If I was going to bulk age it, I would have done it in the secondary, and not left it in the primary so long, but now that it's in bottles, just keep it at cellar temps (60Fish or slightly cooler) in the dark.

Back