Long-lasting beer for keg number two

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer that can hold two kegs. I always like to have something hoppy and fresh in one keg. This is the type of beer I tend to drink. Right now, in keg two, I've got a coconut chocolate sweet stout that is almost gone.

I'd like to brew another beer for the second keg, but likely won't go through it very quickly. Is there any beer you'd recommend for my second keg that'll still taste good after 3-6 months? Preferably something not too high ABV.

I know, I know.... Just drink faster.

Brew a lager and tap it young.
As time passes, you’ll be layering it and can pull a pint to see how long is your ideal lagering time.

Depends on what you like as an alternative to the hoppy brews. Maybe try a dark lager, or a rye session ale?

If you avoid oxygenating your beer, most any of them will age just fine. I find that the aroma from a hoppy IPA or APA fades with time (2-3 months) but I'm told that it is because I don't control the oxygen during bottling like I should. The amber that I brewed last December just hit its peak flavor in early February sitting at room temp. The higher ABV stout I brewed last year will probably hit peak sometime this summer.

Back