Long fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGBM.SOO

Reaction score
I've been fermenting Imperial Stout for two weeks. But something urgent has come up and I have to let this go for two months. Is this going to ruin the beer?

i'd imagine it'd be fine....people lager for that long...don't open the fermenter and keep the airlock full....

I've been fermenting Imperial Stout for two weeks. But something urgent has come up and I have to let this go for two months. Is this going to ruin the beer?

The only way that extra time would ruin your beer is if you let the airlock dry out. Otherwise it is likely to improve your Imperial stout. You could rig a blowoff tube into a large container of water to avoid the dry airlock.

The only way that extra time would ruin your beer is if you let the airlock dry out. Otherwise it is likely to improve your Imperial stout. You could rig a blowoff tube into a large container of water to avoid the dry airlock.

let's not forget the classic problem of no bubbling, and leaky fermenters....

one of mine is leaky now, it pisses me off.....NO BUBBLES!!!! :)

In my experience the extra time is only going to help your stout, especially if it's an imperial. The extra time will also clarify it.

Fill the airlock with starsan. Put aluminum foil over the airlock and crunch it down tightly with your hands around the base. Fermentation gas will still be able to escape. The aluminum foil will make the starsan dry out more slowly. If it does dry out completely the aluminum foil will be a barrier making it more difficult for bugs to get in.

I think you'll come back to a very nice beer.

Last edited:
Thanks your advice!

In my experience the extra time is only going to help your stout, especially if it's an imperial. The extra time will also clarify it.

Fill the airlock with starsan. Put aluminum foil over the airlock and crunch it down tightly with your hands around the base. Fermentation gas will still be able to escape. The aluminum foil will make the starsan dry out more slowly. If it does dry out completely the aluminum foil will be a barrier making it more difficult for bugs to get in.

I think you'll come back to a very nice beer.

Using the foil is good idea. Thanks!

Back