Long fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Egreenxc

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm leaving on a deployment in a month or so and looking to use it as an opportunity to try to brew a batch that has a long fermentation time. Ill be gone for about 5 months. I've got someone to look after it and a chamber so there shouldn't be any concerns in that area. Any ideas?

You could do something like a barley wine, old ale, or strong Belgian-style ale (BDSA or Quadrupel). It should ferment out in 10-14 days or so, then would benefit from several months of aging. Good beer to have to celebrate your return too.

I wouldn't leave anything on the yeast for 5 months though.

You could do a big RIS that would benefit from aging too. But you would want someone to take it off the yeast earlier then 5 months so you wouldn't get the chance of autolysis.

I don't know of anything definitive regarding autolysis - only lots of opinions...you may be fine leaving it.

Oh, and Welcome to HBT
and thank you for your service !!

Hang Glider said:
I don't know of anything definitive regarding autolysis - only lots of opinions...you may be fine leaving it.

Oh, and Welcome to HBT
and thank you for your service !!

Yes I know people have left it on the yeast for months without any consequences but I like being safe than sorry:) I'm paranoid.

I just bottled NB's Dead Ringer last weekend and it was well over 5 months:) Very clear...and tasted great coming out of the carboy. I have it bottled in the basement @74. I can see a very small layer of yeast at the bottom, so it still had viable yeast:)
As long as you have good sanitation -

MilesLong said:
I just bottled NB's Dead Ringer last weekend and it was well over 5 months:) Very clear...and tasted great coming out of the carboy. I have it bottled in the basement @74. I can see a very small layer of yeast at the bottom, so it still had viable yeast:)
As long as you have good sanitation -

Did you dry hop it for 1-2 weeks before bottling?

dry-hopped at 5 weeks - lol - late April?
I was surprised that the centennials came through at bottling, thought they would have faded much more.

Back