London ESB Yeast..FG Too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpatrickv

Reaction score
So, I made an oatmeal stout the other day, and I'm thinking I know what's wrong but wouldn't mind the advice of some of you fine folks... My Grain bill is as follows..

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
10 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 57.1%
1 lb United Kingdom - Pale Chocolate 33 207 5.7%
0.5 lb American - Roasted Barley 33 300 2.9%
2 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 11.4%
1 lb American - Midnight Wheat Malt 33 550 5.7%
2 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 34 60 11.4%
1 lb Lactose (Milk Sugar) 41 1 5.7%
17.5 lb Total

I mashed at 158, OG was 1.074 and right now after 2 weeks the FG is 1.046 and has been there for a few days. What I'm assuming is that I had too little fermentable grains and mashed too high? Also, I did not pitch a starter. Would pitching another smack pack of yeast do anything here? I'm not really opposed to a low abv beer as long as the flavor is spot on, but do not like missing my numbers/screwing up so badly.

Your assumptions would be correct to some degree but also, London Ale Yeast is a very high flocculating yeast that has the ability to drop quickly if not fermented properly.

I like to start this yeast low and slow and gradually ramp up the temperature over a period of a few days to keep it active. I will usually pitch around 60 and by day 5 I am up to 68 and get good attenuation out of it. The first time I ever used it I kept it at 64-65 and held and found it dropped before it was done and had to rouse and raise the temp.

If you can raise the temperature and gently rouse it you should get more out of it but the grain bill factors and the lactose will keep it a little higher than normal.

Edit: To add, you are currently at only 38% attenuation so it's got a ways to go!

Thanks sir. I usually ferment in my upstairs bathroom but sometimes the temp isn't consistent. I would say it sits at around 70 most of the time, but can dip into the mid 60s at times.

Edit, it all makes sense now....Seems as when my fiance leaves in the morning she turns our thermostat down to 65 then back up when we get home...

Now wonder I had issues with this batch..

dpatrickv said:
Thanks sir. I usually ferment in my upstairs bathroom but sometimes the temp isn't consistent. I would say it sits at around 70 most of the time, but can dip into the mid 60s at times.

Edit, it all makes sense now....Seems as when my fiance leaves in the morning she turns our thermostat down to 65 then back up when we get home...

Now wonder I had issues with this batch..

You should consider using a water bath or swamp cooler to maintain more consistent temperatures.

I used this same yeast on an oatmeal stout recently. It was sitting around 66 for the first two days, then the temp dropped in my apartment to about 62 and that was it. That thing dropped out and I was done. I am going to avoid this yeast in future brews until I have real tight temp control.

I was worried about the stone clone I brewed Sat with 1968 as i've heard it doesn't attenuate all that well. I mashed at 149 and had a 1.8L starter. I've never seen (or heard, the blow off is thumping the floor) a ferment so vigorous. After 72 hrs it's still going strong. Been at 67* the whole time. I think the starter, good aeration, and a lower mash might be key with this strain.

Give it a good swirl, and put it in a warmer place. This yeast will get lazy and will flocc out very easily.

It's my go to yeast for my Porters and even some Pales, as it clears extremely well, and fast.

Let it warm, and rouse the yeast, as I'm sure you have a cake on the bottom of the fermenter. It'll finish up.

However- you did make it hard on it. Under pitched it, and mashed high for this strain.

So, I made an oatmeal stout the other day, and I'm thinking I know what's wrong but wouldn't mind the advice of some of you fine folks... My Grain bill is as follows..

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
1 lb United Kingdom - Pale Chocolate 33 207 5.7%
0.5 lb American - Roasted Barley 33 300 2.9%
******2 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 11.4%
2 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 34 60 11.4%
1 lb Lactose (Milk Sugar) 41 1 5.7%

I mashed at 158
High mash temperature. What was the source of the flaked oats? They may have required a cereal mash but lots of other unfermentables too.

High mash temperature. What was the source of the flaked oats? They may have required a cereal mash but lots of other unfermentables too.

Flaked oats were bought from rebel brewer. I raised the temp and roused the yeast, this morning there was some more activity from it.

Back