London Ale III Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewddah

Reaction score
I brewed a NEIPA with OG 1.070 two weeks ago, and the gravity has been stuck at 1.022 for a week. The initial fermentation temperature was 66F, but I raised it to 70F five days ago. Still won't budge. I made a 2L starter with the yeast, and I use a stir plate. Usually this is enough. Last time I brewed this, it finished at 1.017. Had some malt backbone, but wasn't cloying. This one is a little on the sweet side for me. Should I keep waiting, or add some US-05 to clean up the mess?

You are at 67% attenuation so you are a little low for that strain, but with a NEIPA you might be ok. Are you kegging or bottling? If you are kegging I'd probably just call it a day personally, but if you really think it is too sweet for your taste you could pitch a neutral strain to finish it out...just be aware it will likely finish a lot drier than it would have with just the London.

I'm kegging it. I guess I'll wait a few more days and just transfer. I don't want the hop flavors to fade while I'm waiting for it to ferment just a little more.

You could try rousing the yeast by gently swirling the fermenter or blowing in C02. I'd also ramp up your temp to 72-73, that might get a you down a few points.

Back