Localish place to buy bulk grains.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_one_seven

Reaction score
I will be getting my grain mill (Rebel Mill:D) on Saturday. I was wondering if anyone in my neck of the woods knows of any LHBS that carry bulk gains. I don't mind paying a bit more to not have it shipped. I'm located in Springfield Illinois. I would consider Peoria, Bloomington, Decatur and Champaign localish........

Thanks

There's a newish lhbs in downtown Bloomington called the hop shoppe. Its small, but the owner knows his stuff and keeps reasonable stock. Not sure how much bulk he keeps. Worth a call for sure

I live in the Bloomington area

Cool thanks. I will check it out. We do not have a dedicated HBS in Springfield and the store that carries some stuff doesn't do bulk grains......

Until the hop shoppe, the only thing we had was friar tuck (huge liquor store). They carry a limited selection of supplies, but not much. Its really really nice to have a local place to go now. The hop shoppe has saved my ass a few times now lol (not to mention shipping costs)

I'm all for supporting the small business if I can.
Glad I could be of help

Cool thanks. I will check it out. We do not have a dedicated HBS in Springfield and the store that carries some stuff doesn't do bulk grains......

Have you asked about a special order? My LHBS carries grains in one pound packages but was willing to order a 50 lb sack of base malt and a 10 pound of red wheat (couldn't get white wheat from his supplier). The price per pound was just over half of what the small packs were.

they are not a home brew store they only stock homebrew supplies (liquor store) . i don't think they would do a special order.

The Friar Tucks here in St.Louis will special order hops & yeast for sure - never asked about grains. But they only do one order a month.

Wonder if a local brewpub/small brewery could add a bag or two in one of their orders for ya?

Might be worth trying to chat at one of the brewers.

p.s. You'll love the rebel mill!

Back