local priming sugars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchomebrew

Reaction score
so my local hbs stores aren't very local. or at least open by the time i can get to one.
i'm looking for something readily available from a grocery store that i can use for priming when i bottle. can't seem to find any "corn" sugar at the local grocery. what can i use.

Honey or maple syrup both work.

Cane sugar works, but is non-ideal, but hey, it works.

Brown sugar works - some even has corn sugar (dextrose) as part of the content.

Dry Malt Extract works. I suppose liquid malt extract would as well, it's just not so common to have a little bit handy, or to measure out a little bit, given what a messy glop it is.

Do you have a health food store, or something similar nearby? Sometimes they carry corn sugar.

aahhh.........didn't think of the health food store.
maybe cause i don't frequent it............ever
i'll give it a try next time i'm down there.

+1 to brown sugar, but I wouldn't use it in something like a pilsner. Works great with Stouts and dark beer. Probably would do OK in an Amber Ale.

Cane sugar can lead to cidery flavors - in the small amount used for priming this may not be that big of a deal, but it's still generally avoided for that reason. Easy enough to use one of the better alternatives, but it's on the list because it will, in fact, carbonate your beer, and you already have it on hand.

I've offered several alternatives that your grocery store will have that are better than cane sugar, why not just use one of those?

Simple enough to mail-order more beer ingredients and add some corn sugar or DME or prime-tabs or carb-drops to the order if none of the above appeals to you. A little extra time before bottling won't hurt your beer.

Sucrose does not metabolize well by yeast, about 75% IIRC.

You wind up with a sweeter beer.

Cane sugar can lead to cidery flavors - in the small amount used for priming this may not be that big of a deal, but it's still generally avoided for that reason. Easy enough to use one of the better alternatives, but it's on the list because it will, in fact, carbonate your beer, and you already have it on hand.

I've offered several alternatives that your grocery store will have that are better than cane sugar, why not just use one of those?

Simple enough to mail-order more beer ingredients and add some corn sugar or DME or prime-tabs or carb-drops to the order if none of the above appeals to you. A little extra time before bottling won't hurt your beer.

Have either of you actually primed with table sugar? I have carb'd several batches with cane sugar and found neither of these theories to hold water. To date, I have found using corn sugar is easier since it can be easily incorporated dry and still mix thoroughly into solution but I have not experienced any additional sweetness or cidery off-flavors contributed by priming with table sugar.

Corn syrup can be used. I would use a hair over 3/4 cup. Honey or other sugars are going to change the flavor.

I've used cane sugar many times and have never noticed any detrimental effects on my beer.

When I was looking into the topic previously, I read a comparison that favored DME for long term aging over both corn and table sugar. I've been thinking trying three-split bottling on a future batch myself to see what preference comparisons can be made over time.

Have either of you actually primed with table sugar? I have carb'd several batches with cane sugar and found neither of these theories to hold water. To date, I have found using corn sugar is easier since it can be easily incorporated dry and still mix thoroughly into solution but I have not experienced any additional sweetness or cidery off-flavors contributed by priming with table sugar.

I have primed about a dozen batches, all with table sugar. I was generally going for a sweeter beer, so I never used anything else.

<squinting>

Sucrose is ~100% fermentable by beer yeast, v. ~95% for dextrose IIRC.

I have started priming with cane sugar in my past 5 batches or so and find it easier to work with. I decrease the calculated weight for dextrose (beersmith) by 5% and boil that amount.

We could also consult John Palmer on this issue.

I do not believe that is true. Sucrose is a simple sugar and will ferment as completely as anything can.

A sucrose molecule is a glucose bound to a fructose and because of this, it is more dense than corn sugar, which is just glucose. So if you're using sucrose (which many people do regularly), keep in mind that you should use slightly less than you would if you were to use corn sugar.

The larger size of the sucrose molecule does give the yeast one extra step, that is, to break the glucose/fructose bond. For that reason, it may take a week or two longer to carbonate your beer using sucrose, but I assure you, it still works.

Many have referenced using invert sugar to prime. The invert sugar they are referring to is sucrose that has been broken into glucose and fructose. To do this, simply boil cane or beet sugar (sucrose) in water for 10 minutes prior to adding it to your beer. Some say that you need an acid catalyst to break that bond, but it is almost a consensus that a low pH will facilitate the reaction but is not necessary for this purpose.

In conclusion, buy cane sugar and boil it for 10 min before adding it to your beer.

I use THIS site to calculate carbonation.

EDIT: I would also like to add that sucrose can be considered a superior priming sugar to dextrose because it does not readily absorb water from the air as dextrose does. The property of hygroscopy makes accurate measurement impossible with dextrose because you just don't know how many water molecules are in your sugar.

Why exactly would dextrose not ferment out completely?

I have not seen the reasoning; my WAG would be the presence of a small amount longer-chain sugars or other normally-non-fermentables, either naturally occuring or as a result the manufacturing process.

The property of hygroscopy makes accurate measurement impossible with dextrose because you just don't know how many water molecules are in your sugar.

That and I find that cane sugar is just easier to handle (scoop, measure, stir) because of its granular nature.

You could try this...
Eden Foods - Barley Malt Syrup, Organic
It seems to be readily available in the supermarkets around here (which aren't known to be very "gourmet").

what exactly is barley malt syrup? is this a non HBS term for something? im always looking for non LHBS sources for certain things to save money, i found this product at a bulk store which i also pick up flaked grains from for alot cheaper than a beerstore

it says

The sugar profile of EDEN Organic Barley Malt Syrup is approximately 76.13 percent maltose, 15.81 percent glucose, 6.3 percent sucrose, 2.04 percent fructose and the remainder is lactose. It has 14 grams of carbohydrate and 8 grams of sugar per serving. A whole grain sweetener that is about half as sweet as refined sugar and has a consistency and flavor similar to that of molasses. If a lighter, sweeter flavor is desired, EDEN Organic Barley Malt Syrup can be combined with other organic grain sweeteners or organic maple syrup.

hmm ok, i thought it was, but its lower quality? i guess not recommended for brewing really?

This is not good advice, in my opinion. Cane sugar in the amounts used for priming do not produce any discernable cider flavor or sweetness, in my experience. Honey, maple syrup, and brown sugar all are more likely to impart flavor than cane sugar. DME works fine.

Use the cane sugar.

Back