Local brews in Hawaii?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsdx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm visiting Kauai and Maui in Hawaii for the next 2 weeks :mug: Anyone have any reccomendations for local brews to try? I had Mehana volcano red ale for lunch (decent), Maui Brewing Primo Pilsner last night, and bought a 6 of Kona Brewing Co. Fire Rock Pale Ale (mmmm mmmm!) and a 6 of Kona Brewing Co. Porter with Kona Coffee (couldn't pass that up). Thanks.

Definitly visit maui brewing co up in Lahaina. I think thats it for the local craft industry. Coconut porter is my absolute favorite!

big swell IPA , bikini blonde, and primo, are the ones in my fridge at the moment I would post pics but don't have enough post yet so sorry.The IPA is probably the best of the three.

Not beer related but the winery on Maui is pretty cool, good pineapple wine.

Just a quick note. Kona Brewing is great, but if you bought it in a six-pack, it didn't come from Hawaii. Kona doesn't bottle any beer. They contract brew their bottled beer from a couple breweries in the continental US (I wanna say its Red Hook that brews it for them).

I visited the brewery last year and found out that they only do draft and growlers from the local brewery. They said its too expensive to ship bottles out to Hawaii (and there are no local suppliers) and then back to the continental US for distribution. Which also results in the strange situation of Kona beer in Hawaii not actually being from Hawaii. Welcome to the weird world of distribution.

Definitly visit maui brewing co up in Lahaina. I think thats it for the local craft industry. Coconut porter is my absolute favorite!

I believe Maui Brew Co. closed up in Lahaina. They used to occupy a large area right off the main street but moved their operation further north on the state highway to a new building next to Roys.

Still check it out though, they have great food and last time I was there had 15 or 16 beers on tap, including a collaboration beer with Stone Brew Co, at 10 bucks a pint I didn't go for it though :)

Back