Local beer suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingMoose

Reaction score
So for the next few months I will be interviewing for medical residency positions across the Midwest. I am looking for recommendations on local beers to pick up and bring back home with me. Here are some of the cities I will be in:

St. Paul, MN
Rochester, MN
Peoria, IL
Cincinnati, OH
Columbia, MO
Ann Arbor, MI
Omaha, NE
St. Louis, MO
Iowa City, IA

I enjoy most all beer styles.

Cincinnati: Rhinegeist, MadTree, 50 West (My favorite top 3), Rivertown, Mt. Carmel, hell even some Christian Morelein (Northern Liberties)

In MI: Bell's, Founders, Dark Horse, Jolly Pumpkin, Short's, Greenbush, Kuhnhenn, Dragonmead, Right Brain

And if you can find it in the Chicago-area, get some Three Floyds.

Your decision for residency will come down to the beer selection, right?

St Paul- Surly! That's my favorite brewery in the US, and if you can get to their taproom, you'd really enjoy that. Otherwise, pick up their beer (in 16 oz cans) anywhere in the Twin Cities. It's on tap everywhere as well.

St Louis- Schafly. Love their dryhopped APA.

Ann Arbor- LOTS of Michigan breweries. I especially love Short's, but Bell's (if you normally can't get it), and Founder's are the best known.

Steel Toe from The Cities as well. you should also be able to find Schell's almost anywhere in the area. I'd suggest Firebrick, Emerald Rye, and Goosetown. but Surly is quite a solid go to for any occasion.

Surly, Steel Toe, Flat Earth, Lift Bridge, Lucid, to name a few. These are available in bottles, except Surly, which is canned. Surly is widely distributed around the Twin Cities metro, but not so much in other parts of MN. Summit and Schell's are 2 of our bigger breweries. Summit's Unchained series can be quite good. They just launched a Biere de Garde, though I haven't tried it yet.

If you're not flying, and don't mind hauling growlers, lots of great little micros around. Too many to mention, but start here. Taproom hours vary, but none are open on Sunday, nor are liquor stores open on Sunday.

And note that Jolly Pumpkin is IN Ann Arbor. Now, I don't like sour beers and am also a Buckeye so I think EVERYTHING about them sucks. But hey, form your own opinion.

Ann Arbor: As mentioned Bell's and Founder's, but also try Arbor Brewing Company; their Sacred Cow IPA, Bavarian Bliss Hefeweizen and Buzzsaw IPA are great.

Nebraska: Nebraska Brewing Company(Any of the stuff they bottle...) Thunderhead Cornstalker, Spilker Hopluia, Zipline NZ IPA/Copper Alt.

Back